• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS to EXS programming question

Share/Bookmark

GOS to EXS programming question

I\'m hoping somebody can enlighten me...
    I just purchased the Garritan Orchestral String Library, which of course is formatted for giga sampler.

I\'m going to be using it with the EXS24, and the samples themselves seem to import nicely.

However, many sounds were originally programmed to change dynamics (soft to loud) utilizing the mod wheel to crossfade between samples. This part of the transition from giga to EXS dosen\'t make the transition.

When I load a string sound with the EXP extention, all four layers (p, mp, mf, and ff) play at the same time. I can\'t figure out how to set up the EXS to crossfade between these layers via the mod wheel.

I\'ve been told this is possible with the EXS. Can anyone whose using this library with the EXS talk me through the process?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks...

Re: GOS to EXS programming question

Hey Jaimo.
    Good purchase on GOS! I\'m assuming you got the full version. All the better. I only have lite but I\'ll see if I can help here. I converted to exs as well and some of the more complex functions don\'t convert, for instance as you are finding, the exp modwheel patches. If you do indeed have the full version there is the maestro tool which I think (?) can help you. If not, Chicken systems translator or cdxtract are sample converters which seem to be able to carry these functions over.

Gary has mentioned that he is in the process of waiting on a new exs development which may be holding back development of an exs version of the library.

I will however, be keeping an eye out to see if any more savvy answers are given you. Hope they are, I wouldn\'t mind having that ability as well. Sorry I don\'t have more.

christianb

christianb,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I went for the full library-talk about overwhelming!

So far, based on my own discoveries as well as discussions on another forum, I\'ve concluded that as of now, the EXS is not capable of switching layers (samples) while a key is being held down. If you restrike the key, it works.

This, along with the maestrotools environment works well with Alt bowing techniques, but cresendos from the modwheel don\'t work yet.
    Bummer. (Big understatement!)

Anyhow, Let\'s hope this function will be included in an EXS update, and in the meantime I\'m going to keep experimenting.

If anyone else using GOS on the EXS has had different experiences, please jump in.

Even with the current limitations on EXS, it\'s an amazing library. But everyone here already knows that...! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So far, based on my own discoveries as well as discussions on another forum, I\'ve concluded that as of now, the EXS is not capable of switching layers (samples) while a key is being held down. If you restrike the key, it works.
    This, along with the maestrotools environment works well with Alt bowing techniques, but cresendos from the modwheel don\'t work yet.
    Bummer. (Big understatement!)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thought I\'d post back and say that this is not true. There is a crossfade parameter that I wasn\'t aware of. So, if you\'ve got GOS and are using it with the EXS, it is possible to utilize the EXP patches, although you\'ll have to set up the parameters yourself. It\'s fairly easy though.

Hey Jaimo,
    I\'d like to know if you could give me a walk through on how you figured it out. I can\'t get my modwheel to do anything but...mod.

Hmmm.... maybe my new... KONTACT will help!
    sorry, don\'t mean to gloat
    just excited

christianb [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

christianb,

Load any EXP sound into EXS. I\'ll use \"1st Vln SusV EXP\" in this example.

On the front panel of the EXS
    1)choose \"S.Select\" in the dest of the first section of the matrix editor. (I think it defaults there). Then under source, select Ctrl #1
    2) in the 2nd section of the matrix editor the dest defaults to \"pitch\". Select \"-\" which will turn that off.
    3)Change LFO 1 Rate and LFO 3 Rate to \"DC\"
    (this basically turns them off).
    4) In the top left corner you\'ll see a parameter for X-fade value. I set mine to 30, but you can adjust to your own tastes.
    5)Under options, select \"Save settings to Instrument\" and when it asks, select \"Over Write settings\".

Now hit \"edit\" on the front panel to open the EXS editor.
    1)Select Layer 1(under group), and set the values of \"Select Range\" to 0 and 31, respectively.
    2))Select Layer 2, and set the values of \"Select Range\" to 32 and 63.
    3) Layer 3 (34-95) and Layer 4 (96-127).
    4)Under Instrument, select \"Save\" (or \"Save As\" if you want to give it a new name).

There it is! Now, this looks like a lot to go through, but in reality it takes less than a minute. I haven\'t found a way to make a template yet, so I\'m having to do this to all my EXP patches, but It\'s really not taking all that long.

The same thing can be done with VIB patches as well.

Let me know how this works for you. I\'m just thrilled to be able to make use of the EXP patches!

In addition to Jaimo’s fine suggestions, here are a couple of additional ones to get things closer to my original Giga programming for the EXP instruments:

1. Set the “Vel Offset” in the upper left to +127. This will disable velocity sensitivity (as in the Giga EXP version). This step is necessary to avoid jumps in volume as each note is triggered. With EXP instruments all volume changes are handled by the mod wheel.

2. Reduce the “Env2” release envelope value (“R”) slightly to more closely approximate the Giga settings. A good compromise value is 221.59ms. The EXS translation often makes the release envelopes a little too long and “reverby.” Of course, you may prefer that. Go with your preference.

3. The dynamic range of the instrument can be adjusted by changing the values in the “volume” box in each layer in the edit window. The settings should be proportional. For instance, if you wish to increase the total dynamic range of the instrument by 9db enter “-9” in the Layer #1 volume box, “-6” in the Layer #2 box, and “-3” in the Layer #3 box. It is unnecessary to change the value of layer 4 (the reference). To increase the dynamic range by 18db enter “-18” in the Layer #1 volume box, “-12” in the Layer #2 box, and “-6” in the Layer #3 box. And so forth.

4. I’d also choose a “Xfade” amount of +(-)41 to get somewhat smoother crossfade results.

Tom

You guys are just plain wizards!
    I knew all those dials and buttons did things [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I tried futzing around with your recipe Jaimo and started to get close. Since I have \'light\' I only have the two velocities to worry about, I split at around 75. I was toying around with the Vel offset as you suggest Tom, and started getting close. I\'ll throw that last suggestion into the mix and see where I end up. At the moment it doesn\'t sound like anything I couldn\'t achieve ramping volume with automation! I did notice in the editor that the lower of the two layers of samples had all the volumes at -28? You can\'t even hear them if you lower the other sample. I\'m not sure what\'s going on but nice tips. I will go forth and experiment.

christianb

At the moment it doesn\'t sound like anything I couldn\'t achieve ramping volume with automation!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I suppose that\'s probably true with only 2 velocities. You should hear it with 4! Not only does it get louder, but the timbre gets brighter, like it\'s supposed to. That was always my biggest gripe about using volume as a means of expression.

Save your pennies for the full version...it\'s worth it!

ahhhh, if only I\'d won last month [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the tips though,

christianb

Go Back to forum