• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXP vs volume control

Share/Bookmark

EXP vs volume control

I use garritan lite, and instead of using the EXP control with mod wheel, i realized that i could simply use the volume control(within Cakewalk) and get a smoother variation in the crescendos etc.,. I understand that the EXP control comes with different velocity levels and that velocity is not the same as volume. But in the Lite version the velocity layering is not that smooth, and there is a mild but noticeable jump in the velocity when using the mod wheel with EXP.

Is there a way to avoid this abruptness with the EXP samples? if not I guess volume control is a better option for LITE owners, and also is not restricted to a few samples with EXP.

Re: EXP vs volume control

tremolo,

In the upper left corner of the EXS front panel, you\'ll find a parameter labeled X-fade amount. The higher the value, the smoother the crossfade will be.

Granted, 2 layers isn\'t nearly as expressive as 4, but volume will only raise the level, it won\'t add different, brighter samples, like the EXP intruments have.

Also, in the EXS editor, try overlapping the points at which the mod wheel switches to the other layer. Perhaps with there being only 2 layers, it might help for them to overlap by a value of 10 or 15. You\'ll have to experiment with whether or not that makes a difference, and by how much.

One more thing. In that upper left hand corner of the EXS, right above the X-fade value, set the velocity factor(I think it\'s called that) to 127. The EXP patches work better with velocity coming from the mod wheel, not the keyboard.
    Again, with only 2 layers, this might not be as effective.

Let me know if that helps.

Jaimo

thanks for you reply, but I am not sure where to find the EXS editor. Does this come with giga studio?

or maybe I am just being stupid, I\'ll keep checking.
    thanks again.

Tremolo,

It\'s me who\'s being stupid. I honestly don\'t know how I read into it from your original post, but somehow I thought you mentioned \"EXS\", which is Logic Audio\'s sampler.

I recently bought GOS and have been importing it into the EXS. Perhaps my brain is fried (more than usual, I mean).

So, obviosly disregard my post. If you ever get Logic and the EXS24, you\'ll be all set!

Again, sorry for my inability to...read. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum