• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Mocri Files

Share/Bookmark

The Mocri Files

Mocri Prelude, Fugato, and Fugue

This is the first completed part of "The Mocri Files", which I expect to have 5 - 7 movements. The prelude is quite short, around 30 seconds. The fugato and fugue are mirror images of each other. Total length is about 5 minutes. The mp3 uses GPO organ.

Re: The Mocri Files

I confess that I am either too old fashioned or simply too unsophisticated to truly enjoy your composition.
    On the other hand, as a former organist, I admire the structure, the technique of what you wrote. I certainly would not venture to try to play it, while I was able to follow it on your score. My admiration and congratulation.
    To repay you for your posting, here is my short story regarding my "skill" as a player.
    I was, because of my hardly disguised hate of the Soviet-stile communism in my country, kicked out of the university after three years. I was getting free lodging and food at a college ran by Cistercian Fathers for my playing at the church. No other medical university would allow me to continue, so I decided to take up organ at the Academy in Budapest.
    I had to play in front of the head of the Faculty head, and foolishly I started to play the d-flat Fugue and Toccata of Bach. The professor listened patiently until I finished the piece, and I thought I did a decent job. He said to me, to wait at the organ a while, he was gone and returned with three more profs and told me to play the same piece again. After this, surrounded by the four watching my hand, the faculty head (M. Forray) told me that I am accepted. then he said: I never heard this played so well in my life,---- with such an atrocious fingering as what you used!
    It does not belong to this story, but a short two months later the Faculty was closed by the government. Since I still had credits in chemistry, I had no other choice than take up chemistry and tried to keep my mouth in control for 2 years, until I graduated.

Have a nice evening

Ted

Re: The Mocri Files

Ted, your story is fascinating!

Regarding my piece, I though it was one of my tamest, a possible sign of aging and slowing down a bit! The next increment will be finished in a few weeks, maybe longer, is intended to be a scherzo, but my work has a tendency to change considerably as the work progresses.

Richard

Go Back to forum