• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First piece using GOS Lite

First piece using GOS Lite

Hi all, I have uploaded a arrangement of the hymn Abide with me for strings+horn. Can be downloaded here: www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/abidewithme_stringquarted.mp3

Please let me know what you think of it. Specially if you like the strings or if you have tips for improving the string section.

Thanks in advance!

Re: First piece using GOS Lite

Hi Falcon, I\'m certainly not an expert but will offer some humble tips to take or leave as you wish. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The strings sounded a little dry to me, I would suggest some reverb, particularly some early reflections to help make the strings sound like they are sitting in a room or a hall.

They also seemed to be panned a little to the right? Basses maybe a little to the left? Even so, the overall stereo image seemed to be very narrow.

Lastly, did you play more than two notes at a time using one patch? Forgive me for saying, but the strings sound very synthy, almost like you played a triad chord with one sound.

Hope some of this may help. Scott.

Hi Scott,

I added some reverb, maybe too little.

You\'re right about the panning, I panned Violin 1 about 30 to right and the Bass about 30 to left. Violin 2 and Viola is in nearer to the middle. Maybe I should pan more?

No I did use seperate patches for each voice. Maybe I need to add more expression to the voices?

Hi Falcon, with the reverb it would be nice to try and create some depth, at the moment it sounds like the players are sitting right next to you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also try Simon Ravns eq trick and subtract around 3db of eq from 1350kHz and 2900kHz to lessen the synthiness. (You could also try the 1khz mark too)

Its up to you if you want to emulate a traditional seating arrangement, perhaps pop the violins on the left and basses on the right? Widening to the panning will make the piece sound \"bigger\" too, as long as the panning is not too extreme.

Hi Scott, thanks for your advice and keep them coming! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m new to programing string section so I want to hear as much tips/tricks as I can.

I\'ll post an updated version of this piece soon - I think it\'s great piece to learn on the strings.

Btw. You didn\'t comment on the horn - you like it?

I\'m also trying to figure out how to use those exp. patches in Kontakt/Cubase.

Gary are you here?

Hi Falcon, you\'re welcome. Please remember that I am far from being an expert myself and can only comment on what I perceive and also pass on info from the many experts here.

After listening a few times it sounds like the attack of the strings is a bit sudden so as you said, really ride the CC11 expression controller to soften the attacks. I think there is a GPC controller assigned for attack on most (maybe all?) GOS patches too so perhaps try that.

A couple of times the piece got quiet and then built up again, it almost sounded like the master volume had been turned down and back up though. For crescendo/descrendo try doing each, one track at a time. SOrry if this is obvious.

The horn sounded nice, perhaps try popping it over to the left and back a bit, in its traditional position?

One way to really bring life to a mix is to work with placing the instruments in different areas of your sound canvas. It will also help bring clarity to the instruments too as they are not trying to fill the same space in your speakers. This basically means panning things left to right and placing them front to back. Generally if you turn down the dry signal of a reverb the instrument will start to sound more distant. I generally leave orchestral percussion quite wet with little dry signal and it really sounds like it is at the back of the hall.

It really helps to follow orchestral seating arrangments when doing orchestral stuff as over hundreds of years the best placement has been worked out for the respective instruments. I know you that already know this, just dont forget to do it with your midi instruments too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually, I know you have classical training so I would really appreciate any feedback that you might have on my piece . [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hey Falc,
    doing my chiming in thing. I do believe Scott hit all the points I would have. I\'m listening on headphones at the moment and that is usually where I find things to be over panned, but not in this case. With such a smaller intimate piece I think you can afford to space them out a bit. As far as the verb goes, it wasn\'t that big an issue to me. I would try and slide the instruments around first and then re-examine. The most important thing would be his comment about the swells sounding like they were done with volume rather than cc11 or velocities. Follow his suggestion and you\'ll get much smoother transitions. As to the horn, that could use a tad more verb and backed up a bit (jeez, I\'m just parroting mr cairns now so I\'ll shut up!) Good start though chum. Now let\'s hear some original stuff.

It\'s a great beginning and a stepping stone into where you will take your composition skills for the future..Keep it coming..you are on your way..

ps \"A little phrase here and a little phrase there may look like your ordering things via A-La-Carte but it all ends up as an exquisite dinner in the end\"

Alan Russell

Hi all, I\'m now updated the mix etc. Please listen here: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/abidewithme_stringquarted1c_mix.mp3

Please let me know if you think it\'s better or worse - also if the reverb is too much!

Btw. I discovered that I needed to pan via VST itself, and I also found the mod function in Kontakt. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum