• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Stereo Field

Share/Bookmark

The Stereo Field

I think I\'m missing something incredibly obvious.

I\'m using GigaStudio (hosted on a separate computer) to play a stereo violin sample. The sample is brought into my tracking computer using SPDIF. I record the violin sound to a stereo track within SONAR.

When I try to pan the signal to the left, I hear little discernable movement in the stereo field. When I try to pan the signal to the right, the sound goes away entirely. I get this result whether I use the panning control in GigaStudio or the control inside SONAR.

What must I do in order to move a stereo signal left or right the way you would a mono track? Do I somehow have to record the stereo signal coming into SONAR as a mono track? How do I do this?

Furthermore, how does the pan control work for a stereo track? I intially thought the GOS sounds might be recorded according to their respective position on a typical stage, i.e., violins and violas to the left, cellos and basses to the right. I recorded a bass to check this assumption and got the same result mentioned above.

Re: The Stereo Field

Originally posted by Phyl:
    I think I\'m missing something incredibly obvious.

I\'m using GigaStudio (hosted on a separate computer) to play a stereo violin sample. The sample is brought into my tracking computer using SPDIF. I record the violin sound to a stereo track within SONAR.

When I try to pan the signal to the left, I hear little discernable movement in the stereo field. When I try to pan the signal to the right, the sound goes away entirely. I get this result whether I use the panning control in GigaStudio or the control inside SONAR.

What must I do in order to move a stereo signal left or right the way you would a mono track? Do I somehow have to record the stereo signal coming into SONAR as a mono track? How do I do this?

Furthermore, how does the pan control work for a stereo track? I intially thought the GOS sounds might be recorded according to their respective position on a typical stage, i.e., violins and violas to the left, cellos and basses to the right. I recorded a bass to check this assumption and got the same result mentioned above.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The GOS samples were recorded in place. It sounds like Gigstudio is outputing everything to mono Left. Maybe one of your soundcards is the culprit.

To convert to mono pan GS to Left and set the input of a mono track in Sonar to spdif 1. You can also just leave GS panned to center and record to spdif 1 or 2. But from what you said it sounds like there is no sound on the right channel which would be spdif 2.

Good luck, maybe someone else can be of more help.

Rick

Re: The Stereo Field

Phyl,

I read your post yesterday but didn\'t reply because I don\'t use giga or Sonar. But my thoughts were what RickD suggested. You need to check out your soundcard. It very much sounds like something isn\'t working right there.

Perhaps start with a different SPDIF cable, or go into Sonar analog if you can, just to see if it is cable related.

Go Back to forum