• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, Kontakt and Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

GPO, Kontakt and Sibelius

I just got an email for Sibelius 3 updates. Wellllll to my very delight, they have announced support of Kontakt player from within Sibelius! Isn\'t that cool! So now, with GPO and Sibelius, I don\'t know why composers should feel too much frustration [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

Re: GPO, Kontakt and Sibelius

I asked the question on the Sibelius forum, as to if the Kontakt player included with Sibelius 3 could play the GPO sounds. Their answer is no. Sib. 3 also cannot use the Kontact player included with the GPO. From within Sib. 3 and their included Kontakt player you can only use the sound package that comes with their product. This might change in the future though. As a workaround, you could also use a product like MidiYoke to route the Sib. signal to the GPO.

Jeff

well that seems odd. The sibelius site clearly says it comes with Kontakt silver and you can upgrade to kontakt GOLD. And my understanding of Kontakt gold is it\'s a derivitive from Kontakt. If Kontakt can import GPO, one would conclude that Kontakt Gold can. (it is Gold!). Who knows.....

Well, maybe at least it\'s a step in the right direction [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Kontakt player that comes with Sibelius is a specific product programmed by NI Instruments for use with Sibelius. It\'s my understanding that to use the full version of Kontakt you\'ll have to do some midi signal routing like i mentioned in my previous post.

I am running Kontakt with Finale. I have had no problems at all getting those two to function together.

I also have Maple MIDI tools installed.

Originally posted by Jeff Turner:
    I asked the question on the Sibelius forum, as to if the Kontakt player included with Sibelius 3 could play the GPO sounds. Their answer is no. Sib. 3 also cannot use the Kontact player included with the GPO. From within Sib. 3 and their included Kontakt player you can only use the sound package that comes with their product. This might change in the future though. As a workaround, you could also use a product like MidiYoke to route the Sib. signal to the GPO.

Jeff
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A bit offtopic but: What kind of application is MidiYoke? Is it possible to route the Midi signal from ProTools to Kontakt? As we know, there isn\'t ProTools (RTAS) support for Kontakt until GPO.

I don\'t personally use Midiyoke, but my understanding is that it\'s a software based, virtual midi cable. It allows different pieces of midi software to communicate with each other that normally couldn\'t. However, I understand that the next full version of Kontakt will be RTAS compatible and work directly with ProTools.

andyt

Why would one need to use Midi-yoke or Maple tools at all ? Sibelius kicks out midi doesn\'t it,and Kontakt accepts midi ?
    Isn\'t it a similar set-up to a sequencer (e.g. cubase) sending midi signals to Gigastudio ? I don\'t need either of tools to getthos two pieces of software working together.

Is there someting different about Sibelius and Kontakt that I am missing ?

Originally posted by andyt:
    Why would one need to use Midi-yoke or Maple tools at all ? Sibelius kicks out midi doesn\'t it,and Kontakt accepts midi ?
    Isn\'t it a similar set-up to a sequencer (e.g. cubase) sending midi signals to Gigastudio ? I don\'t need either of tools to getthos two pieces of software working together.

Is there someting different about Sibelius and Kontakt that I am missing ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes. It is not regular Kontakt, but an exclusive version (Kontakt Player Silver or Gold) designed specifically for Sibelius with exclusive sounds native to that platform, with 8 voices for Silver and 32 voices for Gold.

\"As a result of a new cooperation between Sibelius and Native Instruments, Sibelius 3 includes the Kontakt Player Silver for realistic direct playback of scores in Sibelius, using top-quality instrumental samples. Kontakt Player Silver includes 20 instrumental sounds - covering a useful selection of brass, woodwind, strings, percussion, voices and a Bösendorfer piano. Sibelius users can also expand this to 64 or more sounds, including a wide range of useful orchestral and band instruments, by purchasing Kontakt Player Gold.\"

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/3/playback.html

Go Back to forum