• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harps On The Horizon - Garritan or Garritan?

Share/Bookmark

Harps On The Horizon - Garritan or Garritan?

Hello Gary

I\'m looking forward to previewing GPO like everyone else. However I\'m particularly curious about the inclusion of two new harps in the collection. Does this mean that they will supercede your own GigaHarp? If so, and if they are as detailed as GigaHarp, then it\'s another reason why GPO could be a true milestone, both philosophically and practically.

I ask this because I\'m working on a major project in a few months and will need a good harp. As some of your testers are making ecstatic noises about GPO (a piano as good as PMI and ArtVista? Good god!!), would you recommend that I go with GigaHarp or wait for GPO? I hope the question isn\'t too compromising.

Best wishes to you and GPO
    Heath Blair

P.S. Thanks so much for including a contrabass clarinet. I\'ve been waiting donkey\'s years for one of those. Now I can change my sig!

Re: Harps On The Horizon - Garritan or Garritan?

If you have the time then wait. But purely so that you can try the harps. The two harps in GPO are very handy and they do sound very good but they\'re not nearly as detailed as Gigaharp.

I\'m trying to remember what I said about the piano. I wouldn\'t throw out any of my pianos for the Steinway in GPO but the Steinway is very good. How to explain? The piano in GPO sounds more detailed than the harps. The piano is eminently usable as a solo instrument whereas the harps, while still very useful, are more appropriate within an orchestral context (in my opinion). They (harps) sound very realistic indeed (no cheese at all) but they don\'t have the \'feel\' of Gary\'s \'solo\' Gigaharp.

On the pianos; I\'m so glad I bought the Malmsjo and the Post Bosendorfer first because I wouldn\'t buy them after owning GPO. (But bear in mind that I\'m very happy with both of those pianos, and glad I did buy them, they are both fantastic). But I\'m a hobbyist, my comments were as much on the convenience of the GPO piano as its quality. It\'s certainly not as detailed as the Post Bosendorfer and it doesn\'t have the wonderful \'dreamy\' quality that the Malmsjo has (nether does any other piano), but it doesn\'t suffer at all in their company either.

I know you guys are dying to hear all these things and you will soon enough. You\'ll have to forgive me if I\'m not getting it over properly but it\'s quite hard to do that without announcing that \'this is better than that\' or \'that is as good as this\'.

The beauty in GPO is as much buried within its programming and in its incredible ease of use, speed to load, and versatility as anything else. We shouldn\'t lose our minds here. We\'re talking about four CDs while there are libraries out there at 250 \"Bigabytes\".

If you want \'the best\' harp, look at Gigaharp or the Xsample (or any other suggestions?). If you want \'the best\' piano, look at the ones I\'ve mentioned or Kip\'s Bosendorfer (or any other suggestions). If you want the \'best\' orchestral library wait until GPO comes out, do all your sums, then make your choice. I\'m stunned at the quality of the piano because it\'s kind of flung in there with harps, harpsichord etc., so that\'s where my opinion comes from.

This isn\'t about straight comparisons; we all fall into that trap, but each quality library has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Nevertheless, if you have the time you might want to wait. But you might also want to buy the Gigaharp in the meantime? I love the Gigaharp because I just like to \'play\' it in real time (badly, I should add). I just donno really. I\'m trying my best not to give you a bum steer without overdoing it on GPO on one hand or by underestimating it on the other.

You\'ll be very happy with GPO and I\'m certain you won\'t regret such a purchase, but I could put together a demo that would have you barfing and laughing at it while others can put together demos that make your jaw drop and your eyes pop out. The same, I\'m sure, goes for any library. Let me at VSL and EWQLSO and I\'d make a demo that made the legato tool sound like a cheese grater and the hall ambience sound like a wood shed.

Don\'t underestimate the \'intangibles\' of GPO. We all tend to focus purely on \'sound\' but this library has other features that you will enjoy tremendously.

Sorry if that\'s no help. The wait will be over soon.

you can always send a demo to those who want to hear *something*...

Thanks for that interesting and full reply, Z6. Actually, I\'m 100% sure that I will be buying GPO, regardless of harps. For the features, the sheer convenience, the Garritan name, and the 150GBP price tag, it\'s, as they say, a no-brainer... god, I\'m beginning to hate that expression!

I think the library would have to be catastrophically awful for me or anyone else to feel let down by it. I\'m sure it won\'t be. I have a very good feeling about GPO.

As for pianos, well I agree with you about the Malmsjo. I\'m a proud owner myself, and GPO would have to be going some to beat those dreamy, woody timbres. But a new, good quality, fast access, piano is always welcome.

Thanks for the info about the harps. I shall reinvestigate GigaHarp, and maybe Xsample (very nice in the mp range apparently) for solo parts.

Cheers Z6.

Heath

Re Z6 and a demo-

I might mention that Z6 did prepare a superb demo - but for some reason or other, Gary decided he wanted to put up some other demos first.

I recall Gary mentioning something about Z6\'s \'Concerto for Cowbell and Windmachine\'- penned by Z6 under his artistic name \'Lotsa Methane\' - being perhaps just a little too mono-tonal (Gary is, as you know, far too polite to say something like \'this really stinks\', hence the mono-tonal cop out). And, despite perfectly showcasing some of the more exotic instruments included in GPO, the concerto came under further mild criticism for its I-I-I-I harmonic progression. Sorry, I got that wrong. I meant I-I-I-I-I progression.

Gary\'s subsequent edict that all demos be multi-tonal, multi-instrumental, with more advanced harmonic progressions - and also contain melodies, even - has sent all of us back to the drawing boards. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Trond

I think Z6 might not have permission to post a demo, as his role as a beta tester was most likely limited to just that--beta testing.

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Re Z6 and a demo-

I might mention that Z6 did prepare a superb demo - but for some reason or other, Gary decided he wanted to put up some other demos first.

I recall Gary mentioning something about Z6\'s \'Concerto for Cowbell and Windmachine\'- penned by Z6 under his artistic name \'Lotsa Methane\' - being perhaps just a little too mono-tonal (Gary is, as you know, far too polite to say something like \'this really stinks\', hence the mono-tonal cop out). And, despite perfectly showcasing some of the more exotic instruments included in GPO, the concerto came under further mild criticism for its I-I-I-I harmonic progression. Sorry, I got that wrong. I meant I-I-I-I-I progression.

Gary\'s subsequent edict that all demos be multi-tonal, multi-instrumental, with more advanced harmonic progressions - and also contain melodies, even - has sent all of us back to the drawing boards. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">See what I have to put up with? In fact, it was I-I-I-I-Ib. The juxtuposition of the inversion takes the listener into uncharted territory. I was inspired by a piece written by a bulbous-headed professor. I was searching for fractal music when I came upon some of the greatest fractal algorithms ever presented. To the untrained ear it might sound like no more than a looped donkey fart, but the infinitely regressive chordal patterns (whilst \'sounding\' like I-I-I-Ib) can cause mild psychosis in weaker minds (such as my own). I did, in fact, post it on a number of sites, but members of those sites banded together, hunted me down and set upon me with rubber hoses (unaware that I might enjoy such a thing) in the middle of a shopping mall. Luckily, I had built a not insignificant inventory of the aformentioned methane and my flatulatory pronouncements saw the brigands off. (I had just enough left for this post.)

Why not make some classical demos? This music should be good enough for everyone, and the beta-testers won\'t have to work so hard trying to create something for people to hear.

People are asking for recordings, so they should get some. Excerpts would be just fine.

I personally would like to hear the unusal piece of music myself. Z6 never *actually* stated that he was not allowed to send his demo to anyone.

Go Back to forum