• Register
  • Help

Topic: multiple solos tracks = ensemble?

Share/Bookmark

multiple solos tracks = ensemble?

I was just wondering if adding multiple solo instruments on separate tracks will provide the same effect as an ensemble. For instance can I compare 8 tracks of solo violins playing together with a single first violin ensemble?

I wouldnt think so, since an ensemble sound is really created by minute differences in the bowing, phase and spatial location of each violin player. Given this how best to make an ensemble with solos instruments? I thought about this since one of the features of GPO (which I am awaiting as well) is the ability to build sections.

any ideas?

Re: multiple solos tracks = ensemble?

Hi

Probally not. First thing is they must all be differnt samples. Playing the same sample eight times wo,nt work because of phasing.If you have separate samples it will sound better but not very realistic.

ed

Unique samples, of different instruments (e.g. an old flute and a new flute, plus a dinged one maybe), or maybe different mic\'s, sampled in the same space, performed on separate tracks, each with its own unique and humanly imperfect performance( timing, controller response, etc.) - add these together and you get a sum that is far greater than the parts. One of the magic ingredients of GPO.

Gary and Tom payed a lot of attention to getting this right in designing and building the library. Even the naming convention of the instruments is such that you can quickly ascertain which instruments can be \'ensembled\' together, and which ones can\'t.

Ed\'s right about the phasing.

Trond

Trond, that was precisely what I was looking for.

thanks!

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Unique samples, of different instruments (e.g. an old flute and a new flute, plus a dinged one maybe), or maybe different mic\'s, sampled in the same space, performed on separate tracks, each with its own unique and humanly imperfect performance( timing, controller response, etc.) - add these together and you get a sum that is far greater than the parts. One of the magic ingredients of GPO.

Gary and Tom payed a lot of attention to getting this right in designing and building the library. Even the naming convention of the instruments is such that you can quickly ascertain which instruments can be \'ensembled\' together, and which ones can\'t.

Ed\'s right about the phasing.

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum