• Register
  • Help

Topic: What software music sequencer do you use?

Share/Bookmark

What software music sequencer do you use?

Hi,

I\'ve always been a Cakewalk user but lately I\'ve run into problems with their latest Sonar release. Is there another product to consider for interactive/film music production? In other words, what do you use for sequencing GOS and Giga (and/or Kontakt) with video?

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Jon

Re: What software music sequencer do you use?

I\'m using Sonar 3 and scoring a film using gigastudio all on the same computer. It works for me. My only complaint with Sonar is that the video only supports quicktime 3.0 or earlier. I have the film on quicktime and have to convert the parts I\'m scoring to .AVI\'s and that\'s time consuming. Other than that Sonar\'s been a great tool.

I haven\'t done much film work but I am happily using Cubase SX. Everything has run very smoothly for me, on the video side you only get 1 video track (so the scenes must be pre-edited). If you were looking for audio/video editing in the same app. I would turn to Nuendo.

AL

Originally posted by JWB:
    I\'ve always been a Cakewalk user...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And so I was too... until I tried Cubase SX. I suggest you give it a look. I much prefer its interface to Cakewalk. I do occasionally miss CAL scripting, but I can accomplish most things using Cubase\'s logical editor and keep an old copy of Cakewalk around for things that require CAL.

My review of Cubase SX 2 will be coming out through the AudioMIDI.com newsletter. I suggest you read it, and the others that are out there. Check out Marc\'s review of SX 2 in Future Music Magazine. You\'ll get a PDF copy of Cubase SX complete on the disc that comes with it.

Thanks for the suggestions...

You know... I was under the impression that Cubase SX didn\'t have very good video implementation. I know with Sonar you can import
    AVI, MPEG, or QuickTime video alongside your audio clips. Can SX match this versatility? Most of what I receive is in MPEG form that\'s two minutes in length.

Yes, SX supports AVI, Windows Media Video, Quicktime, MPEG & Windows Media Video Pro.

Go Back to forum