• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Question for Gary re GPO and RAM

Share/Bookmark

Question for Gary re GPO and RAM

Hi

I will definitely by buying this library. In the meantime, I\'m doing some work on my (multi-PC) system, and need to think about how its going to run. Some questions:

1. Am I right that the idea is that the whole orchestra loads into RAM? If so, how much RAM is necessary to load it?

2. Will it do disk streaming as an option, or will it ONLY play from RAM?

3. In order to dedicate enough RAM to it, I imagine many of us would want to run it on a secondary PC, like we do now with our Giga rigs (because our main PCs already need our sequencers, other plugins etc loaded into RAM). Will it be possible to load it into a standalone PC and somehow \"trigger\" it from Sonar or Cubase on another PC? If so, how would this be done?

4. What sort of processor speed to you envisage being necessary to do orchestral mockups with reasonably high polyphony, using this library?

Thanks for any help here. Congratulations on the fantastic demos.

Re: Question for Gary re GPO and RAM

Mr Garritan, would you be kind enough to elaborate on point #1&2 please? I am about to get GPO and RAM is a concern. Thanks.

You can load a full orchestra into 1 GB of memory. The Kontakt player does not stream from disk. I have run the library as a standalone on a separate PC. It comes as a standalone app, DXi, VST, plus a couple more MAC things I don\'t know much about. It should work fine with programs such as FXTeleport although I haven\'t tested it using that. I\'m getting about 200 stereo voices on a P4 2.4 GHz machine. It is recommended to have at least a P4 2.0 GHz machine to run a full orchestra.

I don\'t know what the licensing is for running on multiple machines, Gary?

More to 3 above.

I\'m the Mac guy on the beta team, and I have also been testing the library running on a standalone PC (my Gigastudio PC, actually) in a VST Host, triggered from and recorded in my Mac, using Digital Performer as the sequencer. This is a no brainer and fairly commonplace nowadays for us Mac guys. That\'s how we use GigaStudio.

If you use V-Stack as the host for GPO VST instances, and you use a Steinberg sequencing app on the main PC, you can use V-Link to control the GPO instruments. FX Teleport was already mentioned.

As to processor speed, with a \'Mozart orchestra\' I was occassionally peaking my (outdated) Athlon 1200 in the tutti sections. With a newer XP-2800+ I\'m running in the 50% cpu range. RAM for this template was in the 500 MB range.

Trond

Thanks folks, that helps a lot.

How did it run on mac ? What kind of sys requirements are we looking at for mac if the PC sys requirements are 2ghz PIV (since NI stuff basically runs like a dog on a mac) ?

Are all the apps that are included cross platform?

Thanks!

Originally posted by dcornutt:
    since NI stuff basically runs like a dog on a mac?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not on a dual G5 it doesn\'t! I\'m loving Reaktor, Absynth and Vokator even more now... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m the Mac guy on the beta team
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are there any beta testers that actually ran GPO and sequencer on a single Mac (no PC involved)?

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by dcornutt:
    since NI stuff basically runs like a dog on a mac?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not on a dual G5 it doesn\'t! I\'m loving Reaktor, Absynth and Vokator even more now... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ned, well I would hope so [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, they don\'t make G5 laptops....not yet anyway.

Just to clarify, I was mainly referring to the Mac versions of Kontact. They are very cpu hungry in my experience.

I can\'t tell if any of the demo\'s were done on a mac..it would appear not. Beyond that, it appears all of them were done using VST. ..which under OSX only exists in Cubase or by using a wrapper of somekind.

And as far as I know..the AU version of Kontact doesn\'t even exist yet? Am I wrong?

So, I\'m anxious, to see some more info about this from mac users going forward.

I guess all that will come soon enough after it ships.

But, until then, if some beta mac testers could (without violating any NDA) give us some idea of what kind of system/performance they were getting..and specifically..what they were using system, (Cubase?, Logic OS9...anybody use OSX?) etc.

That would be very informative.

Just to update and correct my own post, the 1.5 version of Kontact that works with OSX and AU is now available on NIs website.

Go Back to forum