• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: System Reqirements / Recommendations for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Re: System Reqirements / Recommendations for GPO

Kobb,

What is your current Giga machine?

I would recommend at least a P4 2.0Ghz or above processor with 1 GB of memory. Then you can do your compositions in real time without bouncing.
    I have tested GPO in Kontakt on my PIII 733 MHz machine and was getting 64 stereo voices without problems. DFD is not needed for this library which allows for more voices. I\'m getting up to 200 stereo voices on my P4 2.4 GHz machine. Hard drive space needed is under what GOS uses.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Haydn,

My giga PC was put together a few years ago by the fine folks at what was then Soundchaser.

It has an AMD athlon processor, which I believe is around 1.4 mHz (not sure though). Also it has 768 Meg of RAM.

I think that GOS runs around 9 gB of sample disk space - so if GPO requires less I should be okay. And although it would be nice to run the whole orchestra at once - my current setup (no sequencer) requires that I play everything live in layered overdubs. It\'s not terribly sophistocated, but it\'s all I\'ve got for now and it has worked well for me so far.

Basically I want to purchase GPO to function (for now) as a decent sound module in which I just choose one or two instruments at a time for real time performance overdubbing. There are a few gaps in my orchestra sample library, and it seems to me that GPO will function well to fill in these gaps. Especially for $250.

One more question for those in the know: Do you store the GPO samples on a drive separate from the program which takes care of the sample playback (like gigastudio) or does it all run together on the same drive?

You should be able to get decent polyphony on your system and be able to load almost a full orchestra in memory. Samples can be on the same drive as the library is designed to not require disk streaming.

You may want to look into a sequencer such as Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 which can be purchased for under $100. Also, the library will include a sequencer and a notation program. I haven\'t tested either as I\'m using Sonar.

Originally posted by chocothrax:
    I dunno 1.4Mhz seems kinda slow [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oops. Yeah, that might be a bit limiting.

Thanks for the replies fellas. It\'s looking like it should probably work just fine, although I wish that there was a bit more specific technical information available on the GPO site.

System Reqirements / Recommendations for GPO

Holy Crap Gary,

I just heard the GPO demos you posted and I am blown away. As a satisfied GOS customer I was fairly confident that this would be a decent library, but wow - I haven\'t heard this sort of quality to price ratio in the demos before.

So now I want it. Absolutely.

However, my complete studio upgrade is still uncertain so the only PC I have available is my beloved Giga machine. Can you tell me how much drive space will be required for GPO (both on the system drive and/or the dedicated sample drive)? Also what is the minimum RAM requirement. Is there any reason why I shouldn\'t install GPO on my existing giga PC?

I\'m sorry if this has been addressed before, but after looking through some of the GPO threads I still haven\'t been able to find this information.

Thanks and congratulations. I\'m going to tell a lot of the music instructors whith whom I work about this library.

Most of the beta testers had P4 2.0 GHz and above. We had at least 1 Mac user. 768 MB\'s will load at least a Beethoven type orchestra depending on the sequencer used.

My P4 machine cost me about $750 to put together including sound card. That\'s a P4 2.4 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, case, floppy drive, DVD drive, 80 GB hard drive and the ESI Waveterminal 192M soundcard. You can build the same type of system with the newer P4 2.4C processor and probably with a bigger hard drive now as I built my system about a year ago. Keep your other machine to run Giga or another instance of Kontakt - which is what I do. You could then use a program such as FXteleport and would only need one soundcard (if not using Giga) to use both machines at the same time and no MIDI interface is needed. There are many possibilities today for reasonable costs.

Thanks again Haydn - you are just full of ideas.

i hope that on my P3 866, 384MB Ram with Creamware soundcard this library will load almost a small ensemble... :-)
    what do you think?
    but i plan to upgrade my PC soon!

The unique \'Direct sound\' drivers used by the ESI (egosys) sound cards enable the addition of vst sound effects to Gigastudio directly. Just for info. I think this is the only sound card able to do so. See Sound on Sound WamiRack 192X review.

Frank

:-)

Go Back to forum