• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Some thoughts on GPO

Share/Bookmark

Some thoughts on GPO

After listening to the demos I started second guessing my decision to buy GPO. They are good and for the $249 no one could go wrong. I am just not as impressed by the demos as I am when I hear the Sam Horn or Gary\'s own orchestral string demos. I know we\'re talking about a dollar difference here but I have spent tons of money in the past buying something less expensive in hopes that it will suffice. I understand that GPO is meant for mock ups and is portable etc. I want to make sure I get the best sounds even if it costs a little (or a lot) more. As they say \"The poor man pays twice\". I\'d love to hear from some of the beta testers on how the individual sounds compare to say Sam horns or Garritan orch strings. I agree with one member who thought that the Beethhoven demo was a little synth sounding at the intro. I guess I will wait for more demos before I make the leap.

Re: Some thoughts on GPO

My conclusion is that GPO would be an incredible supplement to the pallette of colors in conjunction to other libraries available to the artist, and not intended to be the end all bar-none library. Sure, its not EWQLSO or VSL, but it offers the budding composer with the tools to hone his craft.

To offer a library at this price point, there is going to have to be trade offs, especially if its supposed to run on 1 gig of ram alone and not rely so much upon disk streaming. Read: looping samples. On the faster passages this will suffice. On the organ sample looping can be seamlessly executed as with some of the other instruments so I must applaud Gary for some brilliant programming in this regard.

I really see GPO as an incredible entry into the world of orchestral composing, with some excellent tools that composers can use for years - in conjunction with other libraries, or in conjunction to a nice upgrade path of, dare I say it, \"Advanced\" GPO? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by dpasdernick:
    After listening to the demos I started second guessing my decision to buy GPO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I read in one of the main demo announcement threads that the big library demos are fully \"finished\" with processing, where the GPO demos were sequenced, processed through the Ambience reverb and then rendered.

I almost always pre-master my work with iZotope\'s Ozone 2 mastering plug-in and it makes a significant difference in the final result. I don\'t know what the VSL or quantum leap folks used, but I can definitely hear a level of polish in their mixes that is absent from GPO.

There is the outright money factor, but there\'s also the issue of speed. In the face of tweaking and switching between layers of key-samples, taking the time to mosh and mix something seems small. With the speed they\'re talking about for GPO, going through a second mastering stage would more than double the time to put it out there (the Dvorak was said to be done in an afternoon). I\'m looking at creating templates for various types of ensembles, but I\'m also looking into developing \"orchestral\" presets with Ozone - in order to keep things simple and quick during the mix-to-master stage.

When I hear the GPO demos, there are certain things that I *know* I\'ll do to make the individual instruments sound more to my needs - and I can hear that potential. I think you might do well to give the demos a second listen in that light, and see if you\'re projecting more onto the demos than you should. I\'ve read other folks stating emphatically that the GPO demos stand up to any other orchestral demo regardless of price. I think that\'s a bit overstated, but it\'s curious that the opinions can differ so widely on the same group of pieces.

I\'d be interested to see someone with VSL or QLSO take the Dvorak and sequence it in an afternoon with the same level of realism.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:

I\'d be interested to see someone with VSL or QLSO take the Dvorak and sequence it in an afternoon with the same level of realism. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s the point right there. I don\'t think someone could do as good of a mockup in the same time with any of the high end libraries. Sometimes you want to just experiment, but it takes so much time to get everything right with another library, you don\'t want to cut the idea after you\'ve finally mocked it up. If I\'m experimenting I still find myself going back to my Roland JV orch boards because it\'s so much quicker. From what I can tell the beauty of the Kontakt player is the response. Giga\'s very much you play you hear. Apparently Kontakt is much better at shaping the sound. So if you play short, even though you\'re using a longer sample, it will sound short. The softer you play, the slower the bow attack. The harder you play, the harder the bow attack. Everything I always want when I\'m trying to play GOS in Giga.

The traditional libraries and GPO will be like the difference in using HTML text and Front page to create web pages With one you can do it quick and it will look good. With the other it can take a while and it will look good. In the hands of someone who has learned to work their methods, they can do it fairly quick with either platform and it will look good. If you really want to get deep,HTML will offer that better. But, the guy who\'s really economical with his time, will start with Front page and then move to HTML if he HAS to.

The musician who really just wants to get to work will start with GPO, and then move to something else if GPO isn\'t working. There\'s probably 150+ active members on this forum, all of whom are farily well if not expertly adept with their sample libraries... I\'ve not read any posts that don\'t say GPO is a no brainer. Maybe I missed one. But Dpasdernick, I say get GPO and get over it. You won\'t find a smoking gun of sample libraries in one package for any price - but GPO is as close as you\'ll get. It just so happens it\'s also the cheapest!

J-

[/QUOTE]I I don\'t know what the VSL or quantum leap folks used, but I can definitely hear a level of polish in their mixes that is absent from GPO.
    [/QB][/QUOTE]

Good point here. Would be interesting to listen a GPO mockup with tools used for VSL.

SergeD

Originally posted by Marsdy:
    I don\'t think any of the EWQLSO demos had any \"polish\". That\'s just the way they sound out of the box. My demo was definitely totally flat, no eq, compression, or reverb , just the raw samples.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s interesting - I guess that\'s the plus of having ambiance with the ensemble, but I\'m left to wonder how the \"in between\" mixes are handled. I guess I would have to know more about the issue of sampling with the acoustic space as an integral part of the sound, as well as the other spacial processing that is defacto in the bigger libraries. I\'m accustomed to tailoring the space through acoustic mirror and having the ability to really tweak things down.

But back to the polish of the demos, relatively speaking. Is there a place that describes how much work went into each demo in the EWQLSO or VSL?

Firstly, beta testers are generally not allowed to comment on public forums about the products that they are testing due to non-disclusure agreements and such.

Secondly, the current demos sound quite good considering that no additional effects or processing was done.

Thirdly, SAM Harns demos and such take advantage of other libraries for strings, percussion and such making the comparison quite unrealistic.

Lastly, this looks to be a phenomenal collection for a price slightly more than your average drum loop cd. I think that even if only 50% of it were good, it would still be an amazing value. No library is perfect and even the big guns have some duds here and there. The bottom line is that any comparison between this library and others is hard to make due to the unique nature of GPO. However, if you do like the SAM samples, I would think that both libraries would complement each other well.

Everything that you hear in the demos comes with the package including the Ambience reverb. You can always use your own plugins that you prefer.

I have many of the more expensive libraries including GOS, SAM horns, Dan Dean woodwinds and solo strings, London Percussion, etc. Yes, many of these libraries have more choices, articulations, etc. but the problem is - I can\'t use them in realtime without bouncing or needing more than one computer. I like my Giga libraries but they are just too time consuming for day to day work. Just loading up the sounds takes a long time.

Imagine being able to start a new song and loading in your template including samples in 30 seconds with 8 instances of Kontakt. Can this be done with the large libraries? Look at the posts for some of the libraries that take 5 or more minutes to load just 1 articulation into Giga.

Think of being able to play most sounds without having to worry about which articulation should I use and still get a decent sound. GPO gives you a great foundation for creating music quickly in almost any location. How about composing on the beach with a laptop and a small MIDI keyboard?

The frustration level has been lessened with this library which has made making music more fun for me. If I really need the extra detail for some instruments, then I\'ll fire up Giga to use my other libraries but my foundation will still be GPO.

Originally posted by Serge:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I I don\'t know what the VSL or quantum leap folks used, but I can definitely hear a level of polish in their mixes that is absent from GPO.
    [/QUOTE]

Good point here. Would be interesting to listen a GPO mockup with tools used for VSL.

SergeD [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don\'t think any of the EWQLSO demos had any \"polish\". That\'s just the way they sound out of the box. My demo was definitely totally flat, no eq, compression, or reverb , just the raw samples.

Go Back to forum