• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt on a Powerbook.

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt on a Powerbook.

I\'m getting a sampler and a PowerBook soon, but I don\'t know which sampler or which PowerBook to buy. I would really appreciate any help. Polyphony, latency etc. stats would be most useful.

I\'ll be running Logic and Absynth as well and I plan on playing live and triggering sequences. I do know EXS24 has the least impact on CPU, but has less tweakability than Kontakt. Mach Five looks promising, but it unproven and reports are very mixed.

I\'ve heard that some PowerBooks perform better than others and that it\'s not related to the processor speed as much as to the motherboard. Is this true?

Cheers,
    Alexis

Re: Kontakt on a Powerbook.

I don\'t know much, but I know the EXS format is very streamlined, especially within logic. I\'ve not used it as a VST. True it\'s not overly tweakable, but it\'s great for live gigs and quick sampling. I\'ll be honest, i\'m not sure how well the disk streaming is working. I guess it\'s working fine. I\'m running EXS on my main workstation with everything else, so it\'s bogging down a lot, but I don\'t think it\'s EXS\' fault. I\'ve basically resorted to only triggering perc, on shots, and various similar low processing samples. And I use Giga for the other stuff. As for speed... I think if you get a good external drive that will do a lot for speed on a powerbook. I use a powerbook G4 8--. It\'s the 12\" that Yao has on the commercial! It\'s really cool but gets pretty hot. I wouldn\'t want to put a bunch of work load on the internal drive. Plus its only 4500 RPMs as are most lap top drives.

I use a great removable Firewire based drive system on my main workstation which I would confidently use on my powerbook if needed. It\'s from Granite Digital. Connects via firewire, and runs standard IDE drives. The chasis and 1 tray is less then $200, and the drives you can buy anywhere for fairly cheap. We\'ve started using these drives everyday in the studio and love them. More stable then SCSI, and way cheaper. Plus they have a cool little blue light on the front that would light up the stage to make your rig look cool! I got mine at Mac MIDI Music here in Nashville.
    I think this is the link.
    http://www.macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/1209

Hope this helps!
    J-

I had no idea notebook drives ran so slow. That\'s a smart move using an external, plus I wouldn\'t have to partition the internal drive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s still a toss up on which software though. I like EXS in a lot of regards, but mostly because it seems friendly enough to run multiple instances without dragging the system down. Kontakt has every feature I could want, but I would hate to get stuck only being able to play a few instances (plus NI is reeeaaallly slow with AU development).

Alexis

Originally posted by quixotic:
    I had no idea notebook drives ran so slow. That\'s a smart move using an external, plus I wouldn\'t have to partition the internal drive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s still a toss up on which software though. I like EXS in a lot of regards, but mostly because it seems friendly enough to run multiple instances without dragging the system down. Kontakt has every feature I could want, but I would hate to get stuck only being able to play a few instances (plus NI is reeeaaallly slow with AU development).

Alexis
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I run Logic/EXS on a Powerbook 867 and it runs like a champ. No problem streaming lots of samples from an external firewire drive. Just note the big difference between 12 and 15\" models is that the 15s have a 1 MB L3 cache which makes a *huge* difference I\'ve found... keep this in mind for older models too in case you are thinking of the used market.

Go Back to forum