• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Questions

Share/Bookmark

GPO Questions

Hello All:

GPO sounds like a terrific solution for laptop composers. Some questions:

How much RAM will be required using a MAC laptop and LOGIC GOLD 6?
    Can the samples be implemented or used as easily as MIDI sound module orchestrating?
    Can the GPO samples be used with the Emagic EXSP-24 sample player?
    What about looping and dynamic problems associated with sample instruments? This is not a problem in MIDI
    I noticed that there are no \"muted\" horns or string samples. Is this a future add-on?
    And,lastly, when will GPO be available for purchase?

Thank you, John Cannon

Re: GPO Questions

Originally posted by JMCannon:
    Hello All:

GPO sounds like a terrific solution for laptop composers. Some questions:

How much RAM will be required using a MAC laptop and LOGIC GOLD 6?
    Can the samples be implemented or used as easily as MIDI sound module orchestrating?
    Can the GPO samples be used with the Emagic EXSP-24 sample player?
    What about looping and dynamic problems associated with sample instruments? This is not a problem in MIDI
    I noticed that there are no \"muted\" horns or string samples. Is this a future add-on?
    And,lastly, when will GPO be available for purchase?

Thank you, John Cannon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">RAM: As I recall, one of our beta guys was comfortable with a GPO orchestra using around 500MB, the blanket suggestion is to have 1GB. It depends on how hungry your sequencer/DAW is, and what kind of orchestra you load.

Midi modules: Personally I think using GPO is as easy as using external sound modules, if not easier. Think of the GPO player as a sound module inside your laptop.

EXSP-24: I run Logic on the Mac, I prefer to use the GPO player. You can load 8 instruments in a player instance, e.g. Woodwinds. I don\'t think you\'ll want or need to use the emagic player. I don\'t think the GPO samples will import, though they can be read by the full Kontakt.

Looping and dynamic problems: What problems? The GPO samples will play like the sound modules you are used to. Difference is you will have far more expressive control than you\'ve had in the past, and they\'ll sound better :-) Standard midi controls work in the player. There is an individual volume control for each instrument, so you can balance your orchestra.

Muted samples: The beta version of the library that I currently have includes muted instruments.

Purchase date: You can pre-order now and be one of the first to get it when it ships. Last I heard was end November.

Hope this helps,
    Trond

Re: GPO Questions

There are simulated muted string samples. They are eq\'d versions of the regular samples that sound quite close to sordino samples.

Go Back to forum