• Register
  • Help

Topic: Automated Bowing ??

Share/Bookmark

Automated Bowing ??

I\'m thinking about getting into this stuff. The motivation is good strings for my songs. How does automated up/down bowing work?

Let\'s say I have a string midi track routed to GPO (in Cubase SX) and I would like to have up/down bowing. How does that happen? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Automated Bowing ??

Don,

As easy as load and play. For example, load in one of the string section short bow instruments, like \"Vlns 1 Short Bows,\" and start playing on the designated MIDI channel. The instrument automatically alternates bow strokes note-to-note.

Tom

Could someone tell me now honestly whether this \"up-and-down\" bow idea is really recorded with the players moving their bows up or down, or if this is just a commonly accepted term for having two alternate takes available (possibly both down or up bow)?

Much appreciated!

In GOS I have the serious impression that there have been several takes for the short bows and that these samples were afterwards (after the fact) assigned to pools with names like Marcato, Martele, Staccato, and that the ALT patches are just using their samples from different pools to have two alternate samples available. I really cannot believe GOS has actually true up and down bowing. Sorry if I sound too grumpy (but I am a bit about this). The sounds are often so different, that I cannot believe that the \"up-and-down\" bows were recorded immediately after another, or even in the same session.

Regards,

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    Don,

As easy as load and play. For example, load in one of the string section short bow instruments, like \"Vlns 1 Short Bows,\" and start playing on the designated MIDI channel. The instrument automatically alternates bow strokes note-to-note.

Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Tom!

One more? In a real part there are variations in articulations. e.g. bowed, plucked, (hammer on - sorry forgot the proper term..)Does the MaestroTools™ Auto-Alternator accomplish this using only one midi track? if so, how does that work?

In my current set up I would have to have several midi tracks - one for each sample type (articulation), each assigned to the different patches, then cut/paste/mute, etc., to get the part accomplished.

Don,

GPO is programmed very differently than GOS. GPO does not use (nor require) Maestrotools. Everything is built into the programming in the Kontakt player. Fewer articulations are needed to do similar passages because each instrument combines as many capabilities as possible. A single instrument is often able to do sustain notes, short notes of various lengths and attack types, legato, trills, grace notes, etc. just by playing technique variations and controller data changes. Other instruments combine different articulations in keyswitched form. Steps have been taken to make things very intuitive and “playable.” Efficiency was a primary goal. This results in fewer MIDI channels (and editing between MIDI channels) to get the job done. More information will be released later.

Tom

Peter,

GOS has real up and down bow samples not just alternate takes. You may be confused by the labeling of the samples. The original sample labeling had been accomplished at a time when we were just going to take the various bow strokes and place them on different velocity layers. Later we decided to go with up and down bow mapping and MaestroTools. We sorted out the bow strokes at that time to assign the up and down bows to their correct groups – changing the sample labeling was unnecessary to that process. Up and down bows were indeed recorded in the same sessions, usually one stroke after another.

Tom

Hi Tom....this is good to know, thanks. I too was wondering about this....the sample names confused me also (as I indicated in another post!).

Thanks,

Rob

Go Back to forum