• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does GPO make GOS lite redundant?

Share/Bookmark

Does GPO make GOS lite redundant?

I\'m sure this has been covered somewhere but: Does the GPO make the GOS lite library redundant? Will GOS lite owners be buying the same string patches again if we buy the GPO?

Re: Does GPO make GOS lite redundant?

I may regret asking this, but why boycott Gibson products?

I doubt it. I own GOS lite, and I believe the short bow articulations sound certainly better.
    or atleast I would like to believe since I paid the sae price for the lite :-)

but I guess GPO comes quite close.

I wonder why short bows were\'nt used for the GPO demo of the 5th sypmh. I was not impressed at all by the opening bars.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I could be mistaken but I believe it\'s because they bought Opcode and essentially did to Studio Vision what Tascam is doing to Gigastudio!

\'I wonder why short bows were\'nt used for the GPO demo of the 5th sypmh. I was not impressed at all by the opening bars.\'

I totally disagree. I\'ve heard the real one many times...who hasn\'t! and I think the similarity is amazing.

Frank

Originally posted by robgb:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I keep the following response handy for those who ask:
    ---------------
    Gibson is the company that bought Opcode and then killed Studio Vision and the, then, industry midi standard app OMS. It has been the subject of teraquads of bandwidth on various message boards but no one knows why exactly they buried these very popular apps. Gibson refused to respond to thousands of user inquiries as to the status of the programs and left us all just to guess as to SVP and OMS\'s future (which after several years we now know had no future) Gibson has done the same thing to quite a few other lower profile companies as well (Zeta and Oberheim come to mind). It apparently is just what they do.

For me I started with Vision 1.1 and debatably no one knew that app better than me. I spent years getting to know every nuance. I became a musician and composer through Vision and Gibson for some unseen business reason took it away.

I\'m use to DP now. It is a very cool sequencer but I don\'t think it will ever match the elegance of SV. Perhaps one day I\'ll feel differently, but I can think of allot of other things I\'d rather have done with my time than learn a new, very complex app (keyboard chops, sight reading skills, learning to dance the rumba etc.).

You don\'t have to throw out your Les Paul as long as it\'s pre 90\'s. That\'s when the current CEO/Butthead Henry Juzwreski took \"control\" of Gibson.

Take care,

dan wool

BOYCOTT GIBSON PRODUCTS!
    -----------

..and back OT. I\'m not an orchestra guy but I too was not all that impressed by the GPO demo\'s realism. But for $249...

Man, I hate to participate in a highjacking, but I can add my own two cents to the Gibson boycott sentiment. I own a now-retired Opcode usb 8x8 midi patchbay. When XP came out and Gibson deep-sixed Opcode, they did not release XP drivers for any of the existing hardware, hence my hardware investment was made obsolete (I had to spend yet more money to go with a Midiman alternative). To make matters worse, Gibson refused to release the driver code to allow third-party or individual support for the hardware.. and they were asked, repeatedly.

I ahve nothing good to say about it. In fact it makes me want to curse some more. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Originally posted by dix:

You don\'t have to throw out your Les Paul as long as it\'s pre 90\'s. That\'s when the current CEO/Butthead Henry Juzwreski took \"control\" of Gibson.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As if I would even consider throwing out my post-90\'s Les Paul. I LOVE that friggin\' guitar.

Sorry for your loss, but as long as they keep making \'em, I\'ll keep buying them.

To get this thread back on track, my understanding is that GPO has alternators built in for some articulations, and the GOS lite does not.

However, there may be some other \"ancilliary\" articulations in GOS Lite that GPO does not - that you may need. I havn\'t gone through and checked item by item and stroke by stroke.

If you don\'t have GOS Lite already, I\'d suggest getting GPO first, and then add GOS Lite if there are articulations in that package that you need for a gig.

GOS Lite has sordinos and No vibrato long bows that GPO doesn\'t have. It also has more variety in short bow articulations with more velocity layers. The short bows sound in GPO is basically one generic auto-alternating patch which also adds some other elements to cut down on the dreaded machine gun effect. The sounds in GPO were made to cover approx. 90% of what is normally needed.

I\'ve actually gotten a little lazy lately and have been using GPO for most of my strings as I hate to fire up GOS in GigaStudio. The strings are quick and easy to use in GPO. If I want more details or just need other articulations, then I\'ll fire up GOS.

Go Back to forum