• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio: changing sounds in Real-time through Cakewalk

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio: changing sounds in Real-time through Cakewalk

Hi everyone.
    I am a new (and hope lucky)user of GigaStudio 160.
    Since I\'ve read a lot of users complaining about GigaS. bugs, registration annoyances, lack of adequate technical support,etc...so I try to post here some question before contacting Nemesys.

Well, does anyone know how to change sounds in Real-time through a sequencer(Cakewalk)?
    For instance, I have strings playing on 1st channel and, after a while, I need to replace it with an other instrument or even to unload it in order to reclaim a bit of ram.

Thanks in advance!
    Franco

Re: GigaStudio: changing sounds in Real-time through Cakewalk

If you want to change instruments, you simply send a patch change with the instrument number you want to change to.

I don\'t believe there is any way to dynamically load or unload instruments through Cakewalk. Even if there was, you wouldn\'t want to be doing this while playing a song because GigaStudio cannot be playing back properly while it is loading new instruments.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 02-19-2001).]

Thank you :-)

Thank you

One gotcha to be aware of--instrument numbers are assigned dynamically each time you load your performance. This has no effect, unless you decide to unload an instrument and resave your performance. After you reload it, every instrument that was after the unloaded instrument in your loaded instrument list will now have a different number.

I tend not to use patch changes to get different instruments. Instead, in my Giga performance I assign instruments to all 64 channels and then I have a separate line in Cakewalk for each channel. I DO sometimes use patch changes to flip back and forth between a different playing style for an instrument.

Hopefully Nemesys will include a future update that will allow you to set your own instrument numbers instead of having them dynamically set by the program. Then you could lock in instruments on certain instrument numbers.

Go Back to forum