• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan PO vs EWQL SO Silver ??

Share/Bookmark

Garritan PO vs EWQL SO Silver ??

I am sure that I am not by myself in choosing between these two products. How do you feel about the comparison between the two?

Re: Garritan PO vs EWQL SO Silver ??

I don’t like the “tempo” of the EWQL. . .hard to get a handle on it. I would like to hear something “slower” from the Silver version in the way of a demo.

Did you notice a difference between the Gold version of the 5th and the Silver? The Gold has got more punch to it. Not sure exactly what that means. . .

I was under the impression that the basic sounds from the EWQL line would be the same (24 bit sampling excluded), and that what was included with the cheaper versions would simply be \"less\" stuff, but the same quality. Am I wrong on this. Any comments?

Jeez, I don\'t know. I\'m not an orchestra guy, but they both seem have their strong and weak points. Their instrument and feature set are very similar too. I\'m very curious what \'proper\' orchestra folks think.

I\'ve said this before but...

To me, GPO sounds very much like a real orchestra. I\'ve listened to it side by side with a recorded orchestra doing the same piece and it\'s very close.

Silver, on the other hand, sounds like a guy playing a synthesizer. The strings in particular. Unlike GPO there doesn\'t seem to be any alternate bowing.

The GPO demo is full of expression, subtlety and nuance. The Silver is loud and aggressive and played way too fast -- as if whoever produced it thought louder and faster would make it sound better. Instead it lacks any hint of subtlety and, as a result sacrifices realism.

The GPO demo was played out of the box with a touch of the included reverb.

We don\'t know about the Silver. It could have been processed with existing reverb, or it could have been run through a $5,000 reverb -- we don\'t know because EWQL won\'t tell us. The question has been asked and left unanswered.

GPO has offered up five demos. The Scott Joplin demo has a sparse arrangement that showcases a few of the instruments and sounds particularly real, as if you\'re in the room with the band.

Silver has only offered up one demo. A few bars of Beethoven\'s 5th as opposed to GPO\'s much longer version. We don\'t know why Silver stopped short, because they aren\'t saying.

GPO comes with notation software, Cubasis (I believe), a reverb plug, sample player and god knows what else -- and will eventually be updated with a voice choir produced by Bela D Media. Future add-ons are promised.

The Silver comes with the sample player and a voice choir (part of VOTA) and an upgrade path toward Gold and Platinum.

GPO comes with built in expression/mod wheel controls that allow you to manipulate the samples as needed.

The controls for Silver are unknown (at least by me).

GPO is $250.

Silver is $300.

GPO was built from the ground up to be exactly what it claims to be: an affordable, portable orchestra.

Silver is the stripped down version of a much bigger package.

IMO, GPO is the bigger bang for you buck. I should have it in a few days and will report back my initial impressions.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robgb:
    [QB] I\'ve said this before but...

To me, GPO sounds very much like a real orchestra. I\'ve listened to it side by side with a recorded orchestra doing the same piece and it\'s very close.

You\'ve got to be kidding me my freind...

GPO sounds great, I never doubt about that, but it\'s not \'VERY\' close...

Just my 2 cents....

Tae [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Remember since EWQLSO has it\'s own reverb from the recordings (hence the sample tails are longer), the polyphony runs really high very quickly.

douglas

Originally posted by evanh75:

You\'ve got to be kidding me my freind...

GPO sounds great, I never doubt about that, but it\'s not \'VERY\' close...
    [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Merely my opinion. But I\'d never claim to have perfect ears.

And I highly doubt that, in a blind taste test, most of the people on this forum (not to mention the rest of the world) would be able to tell us what\'s real and what\'s memorex.

The silver version has had the reverb tails clipped off per Nick Phoenix on another thread. You will need to add reverb to it which is why many have asked what reverb was used.

The GPO version used approximately 600 MB of RAM for the Beethoven which included 4 instances of Kontakt and Sonar 2.2. According to Nick\'s post he used 1.5 GB of RAM for his. It appears to do a full orchestration with Silver you will need 2 GB of RAM. I\'ve done many full orchestrations with GPO and have never used more than 850 MB. Something important to keep in mind if you only have 1 GB of RAM.

The GPO demo of Beethoven\'s 5th was done by a hobbyist. Silver demo was done by a professional film trailer producer.

Originally posted by Haydn:

The GPO demo of Beethoven\'s 5th was done by a hobbyist. Silver demo was done by a professional film trailer producer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And at the risk of being jumped on, I think the hobbyist\'s version is much better. Great work.

Originally posted by robgb:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Haydn:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And at the risk of being jumped on, I think the hobbyist\'s version is much better. Great work. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve been lurking around this forum for a while, but had to register just to post this reply.

I completely agree with robgb. I think the GPO version is much more believable, the balance is better, and the strings just sound better. I listened to the opening bars of both versions many times, and GPO just... has better sounding strings. True, silver is a bit more punchy at times, but I\'ll take classy over \"marching band style\" any day.

Congrats.

Go Back to forum