• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO custom multis? MIDI ports?

Share/Bookmark

GPO custom multis? MIDI ports?

First impressions on GPO very good. The marimba is the one of the best I\'ve heard--rolls actually don\'t sound like machine guns.

Two functionality questions:

1) Contrary to some posts, GPO (really Kontakt Player) doesn\'t appear to have built-in MIDI ports. It works fine with MIDI Yoke, but am I just missing the built-in ports? If so, where are they? I\'m using standalone.

2) Can we edit our own multis, or is this reserved for the full version of Kontakt? Or am I again missing some kind of load/save facility for setups? There does not appear to be any way to save a custom setup. If there is not such a facility, this would seem to be a major omission.

Thanks,
    TRB456

Re: GPO custom multis? MIDI ports?

Yep - I seem to miss the point of having the standalone version, too, but I definitely see places in the config for MIDI input. From your comments about MIDIYoke, I\'m assuming that you\'re running a sequencer on the same box and re-routing? Your post seems to contravert the intention of running standalone, as I *think* standalone is designed to do just that - run without anything else on the box.

But again, I\'m a tad confused about the point of standalone, as I seem to be only able to run one instance of the NIKontakt player. If I run more than one, I get an audio driver conflict error. My guess is that the multiple instances are struggling for control over the outputs of the card. It would have been nice for NI to include logic to simply assign all virtual instruments in the first instance to the first pair of stereo outs (instead of grabbing every pair of outs until they run out of pairs and leave the last four veirtual instruments slots without a place to go), and then the second could/should sniff to see which ports are available and take *only two* of those outputs. Then again, you\'d need for your audio card to support \"multiple\" host apps, and I think mine only supports two (originally designed to hold up GigaStudio and a sequencer/DAW app). I simply load up the VSTi instances in Cubase or Nuendo and forget about it. I would assume you could do the same with the DXi or RTAS versions in your sequncer of choice.

As far as saving new multi\'s goes - I\'m not sure I see your point. With eight instrument slots per GPO instance, it\'s pretty quick to load up individual instruments, and I\'m going through and creating templates in Cubase and Nuendo to bring up various amounts of instances with instruments loaded and MIDI channels already pre-assigned. I got sidetracked off of that in re-working a few of my own cues [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , but I plan to have a good cross-section of pre-fab composition templates available sometime in December. If you\'re using a different sequencer, I\'m sure that there\'s some way to save a \"dummy\" mock-up file that you can load with the same kinds of things I\'m talking about.

If the full Kontakt product allows someone to load GPO instruments and save new blocks of multi\'s and put them where GPO can grab and load them, then that would be interesting - but not a real time-saver in my particular case.

As far as the quality of the instruments go - I have to agree with you on the percussion. The marimbas are stellar, and the Steinway borders on magnificent. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Sorry about the gushing - but I\'d lived with GigaPiano so long that I\'ve forgotten what it\'s like to have a piano that can stand up in an orchestral mix.

More on that later... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

You may want to contact Gary regarding how to setup Finale to work with GPO to get more ports as I don\'t use it standalone.

Multis can be saved in the player. At the top of the player you will see a preset section. Type the name in the blank box of your multi and then click the floppy disk icon which is the save function.

That present section was exactly what I was looking for! If only it existed on my player. Honest to God, there are no such controls on my player. The printed documentation mentions nothing like what you describe. Perhaps you had a nice beta feature than didn\'t make 1.0? Or perhaps I\'m still just really dumb? Both seem likely.

Thanks anyway--this could still be promising if someone else recognizes what\'s going on.

TRB456

Originally posted by trb456:
    That present section was exactly what I was looking for! If only it existed on my player. Honest to God, there are no such controls on my player. The printed documentation mentions nothing like what you describe. Perhaps you had a nice beta feature than didn\'t make 1.0? Or perhaps I\'m still just really dumb? Both seem likely.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t see it in the standalone version. My only guess is that Haydn is looking at the VST instance, where the user can load and save \"instruments\" and \"banks\" on the VSTi level. (fxp and fxb respectively)

Thanks for the reply, Houston. I\'m not sure I made myself completely clear.

1) MIDI ports: I usually use Finale, not a sequencer, so there is no built-in plug-in hosting. It\'s faster for me to pull up a standalone sampler. I do have a hosting application (SoundQuest Infinity) but that\'s one more app that needs to run. Kontakt Player does not seem to produce its own MIDI ports that are available to other apps, like GigaStudio does. So I\'m asking whether Kontakt actually does have its own MIDI ports, and if so how to enable them. If not, then the answer is to use MIDI Yoke, which works.

2) Custom multis: I agree that instrument selection is quick, but I\'d like the ability to save settings just as you describe for your sequencer. Also, if one gets into the various parameter settings per instrument, it would indeed be good to save these off once set. General MIDI usually sucks, of course, but it was nice to be able to dial up instruments from within your source program. With these highly customizable samplers, we do need a way to store and recall setups.

Thanks again,
    TRB456

Yep, I\'m using the VST version. I haven\'t really worked with the standalone except to test a few instruments.

Go Back to forum