• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some more questions regarding GPO

Share/Bookmark

Some more questions regarding GPO

I have a few more questions about the GPO. I am a college student, so is there some sort of educational discount, like a lot of other products have, or is it the same price for everyone?

Secondly, what is the learning curve of this product? For example, after one knows the basics, how long would it take to create something like the Beethoven 5th symphony or Mozart piece in the demo page?

Lastly, I would love to hear how this program makes a string quartet sound. I have heard the demos on the page, but is there anyone with a string quartet demo in particular? Thanks!

Re: Some more questions regarding GPO

Originally posted by Scherzo:
    ...so is there some sort of educational discount, like a lot of other products have, or is it the same price for everyone?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It is the same price for everyone, I am a student also and e-mailed Mr. Garritan a while ago about academic prices, I think the truth is, with the profit margin so slim on this product already (an assumption here folks) that selling it for any less would actually be taking a loss...

As far as the learning curve, well, I created this demo: http://www.alanjoseph.com/OktoberGPO.mp3 in about three hours the first night I had the product, I posted it the next morning. It is mainly a small string ensemble with an English Horn.

The speed of the product is only slowed down by your personal midi programming skills, in my case I don\'t have a keyboard with a mod wheel so I am currently drawing in my modulation by hand using the mouse in Cubase SX, if you have a firm background in midi already than this will be a piece of cake for you, just tell your midi to go to GPO instead of soundblaster (or whichever GM device you\'re currently using).

Wish I could give more specific answers, but I can\'t unless you have more specific questions, I hope this didn\'t confuse you, if you are unclear, please ask and I will do my best to explain...

AL

Thanks, that answers some of my questions. How difficult is it to midi-program? For example, if I had a score of a Beethoven symphony in front of me, how would I go about putting into a sequencer? What about if I already had it in midi?

Thanks, that answers some of my questions. How difficult is it to midi-program? For example, if I had a score of a Beethoven symphony in front of me, how would I go about putting into a sequencer? What about if I already had it in midi?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If it is already in midi, all you have to do is open it in the sequencer and give each channel the number that corresponds with the instrument patch, say for instance you have the short bow violins loaded into the first patch for GPO, then just set the short bow violins in the symphony to midi channel 1 and they will \'talk\' to each other (your sequencer and GPO) perfectly, playing the short bow notes thru the short bow patch.

I have Cubase SX 2 and find it EXTREMELY easy to reprogram old midi files. To dig even deeper you can then start programming the velocity levels of each note, which controls the intensity with which the note is played. This is how you get the loud dramatic parts and the quiet parts of the score to sound more realistic.

GPO does come with both a notation and sequencing program, but the notation is a lite version and the sequencer is pretty old, both will work to get you started but you will find very quickly that the four instances of GPO that Cubasis (the free one included) allow run out really quickly.

Hope this helps,
    AL

I have Finale 2004, so I am not worried about the notation program. Which is the best sequencer to buy? Is that Cubase SX 2 you mentioned the best one?

What are the the other limitations of the free cubase version that comes with GPO exactly?

Is that Cubase SX 2 you mentioned the best one?

What are the the other limitations of the free cubase version that comes with GPO exactly?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I believe SX is the best, but by all means ask around... I used to use Cakewalk and a good friend of mine had ProTools for a while that I played on A LOT so I am speaking from experience, but each their own. You said you\'re a student and if so, you can use your academic discount on Cubase to get over $500 off! That\'s the only way I could afford it

The version of CuBasis that is included is limited to only 4 VST slots meaning that you can have a MAX of ONLY 32 instruments at a time... fine for a string quartet, but not for anything larger (SX 2 allows 64 slots or 512 instruments!).

The interface is not as easy to jump into as SX\'s and your track count is vastly limited to 8 audio and 32 midi, SX 2 is limited only by your computer\'s power not the program itself...

I believe the rendering options aren\'t as advanced as SX\'s also, but this is an educated guess, not a fact like the one\'s stated above... I really didn\'t do much with Cubasis, I only installed it because a friend was asking the same line of questioning and he wanted to know the limits...

AL

I plan on getting GPO, and trying out the smaller version of Cubase. I also have finale, and I have used it for years. I have made many full orchestral recordings using Finale and Gigastudio. I have worked on an excerpt of Russian Easter Overture. It sounds great! I am sure that GPO can candle this and other works.

Doing a few MIDI mockups will help build your orchestral skills and help your workflow for future projects. I would recommend starting with composers such as Beethoven for your first mockups as the orchestra are not to big.

I did the Beethoven in about 3 or 4 days in my spare time. I do work a regular day job, clean the house and have 3 kids!

Here\'s some notes on how I did it:

The Dover score was used and each part was played in individually. The ContraBass is recorded first and then I work up from there. Each string part normally has 3 tracks - one each for Sustain+Short, Short Bows and Pizzicato. This is a total of 15 tracks which would use 2 instances of the Kontakt player.

Then the timpani is recorded. Next followed by 2 trumpets and 2 horns. You can put the timp and brass in one instance.

Then I recorded the 2 bassoons, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes and then the 2 flutes. The woodwinds will fit into one instance. That\'s a total of 4 instances.

I usually record the dynamics, do legato mode and others as I record each part. Pay special attention to the string parts as they are the foundation that everything else is built on. The string parts probably take me as long to record as all the other parts put together.

Another recommendation is to record an audio track of a real orchestra playing it to help with emulating the instruments. I do a tempo map to the live orchestra. You\'d be surprised at how the tempo fluctuates constantly - many times even in just one measure.

You may want to record your parts with the Ambience plugin to give you the feeling that you\'re playing in a real hall.

Next I bounce everything down to one stereo audio track. Since I record everything at 24 bit, the audio track is them exported to a .wav file and dithered to 16 bit. The 16 bit file is then opened in my CD mastering software so I can burn it to CD. The same software can save MP3 format.

Some of the steps for mixing down may vary depending on what sequencer program you\'re using. It just takes practice to get decent results just like learning any instrument.

Do you use a midi keyboard to play the parts in? What other ways can I enter a score in (Like from a dover edition) and have the same result without having to play each part yourself?

You can enter the notes in Finale, and save it as a MIDI file. The next step is to open the new MIDI file into Cubase and make expressive changes there. Those type of changes are optional.

Go Back to forum