• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO on the Mac

Share/Bookmark

GPO on the Mac

I\'d like to link up with those of you on the Mac with GPO.

Especially Gary\'s crew (early testors and such).

I\'m finding a lot of stuff I\'d like to talk about but I don\'t want to put a negative spin on it.

I\'d just like to have a clean list that can go to the programmer(s???) at NI.

I\'m finding a lot of little bugs that are bothersome. Who should I tell?

I am very happy to have received GPO even in its current state because I am one of those using it as a starter library to learn orchestration. Its quite enlightening.

Re: GPO on the Mac

On page 45 of the manual it states that you can send questions to support@personalorchestra.com. You should also have the ability to log into the NI support forums and post there, once you\'ve registered GPO.

I sent a laundry lists of minor bugs and issues and I got a prompt reply that NI was on the case. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Well I\'ve been sending email to gary@harps.com. And he has been responding. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Sorry, not too good at reading manuals. I like to dig in and then search through the manual for answers. Missed that one.

I sent a support question to NI and the answer was less than satisfactory. And I\'d like to know what others are finding.

I\'ve found that on the 2nd and 3rd iteration of GPO I can only have one instrument. Even if I have 2 loaded. My Multi instrument assigned to midi 2 plays midi 1.

I haven\'t tried more than 2 instruments in these iterations.

Logic 6.3.2 First iteration works fine.

Except that I can\'t set my outputs to anything other than 1/2. Setting 3/4 defaults to 1/2. 7/8 defaults to 3/4 but doesn\'t route to the AUX channel as it should.

Opened up the 2nd iteration and the layers were labeled like the 1st iteration. Then click in a layer window and 2nd iteration realizes that it is indeed the 2nd iteration and those instruments appear.

Other little things. I just wonder if I\'m doing something wrong or that is Mac-wide.

Wiping egg off face. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Forgot to set the Audi Instrument to receive ALL channels of midi.

See I need help! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    On page 45 of the manual it states that you can send questions to support@personalorchestra.com. You should also have the ability to log into the NI support forums and post there, once you\'ve registered GPO.

I sent a laundry lists of minor bugs and issues and I got a prompt reply that NI was on the case. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s great,... for you. They still haven\'t answered my email yet answering whether they received my registration or not, so I can\'t give them my list. And they sure haven\'t given me a password yet.

Rick

Rick,
    There\'s something wrong with that. I got mine in a couple of minutes.

I\'m sure its automated.

You should try to register again. I can\'t tell you what went wrong (I don\'t read manuals, you know) but mine was here immediately.

You said, \"sent them an email\" You should just be registering on-line. They send you an email back with code.

NI doesn\'t respond to emails AT ALL. They will only respond if you send via their online form.

Originally posted by rJames:
    Rick,
    There\'s something wrong with that. I got mine in a couple of minutes.

I\'m sure its automated.

You should try to register again. I can\'t tell you what went wrong (I don\'t read manuals, you know) but mine was here immediately.

You said, \"sent them an email\" You should just be registering on-line. They send you an email back with code.

NI doesn\'t respond to emails AT ALL. They will only respond if you send via their online form.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks rJames,

I registered right after the installation. I\'ll run it through again.

Rick

I just attempted to register again, and I was told I already sent in my registration and I was asked for a password. A password that I have not received now for 5 days. I\'m just a little concerned.

Rick

Rick,
    I\'ve received a second authorization for my G5 as well. So you can receive authorization from NI on a second try.

My G4 was too slow to use GPO so I switched. No questions.

Is there anything I can do for you?

Maybe I can send an email that gives them your email address??

Well, I guess I need to get this off my chest. This is exactly what concerns me about the new trend of delivering a major sample library within a proprietary sample playback product (Kompakt/Kontakt player).

Pros:
    No need to have your own soft-sampler. Built in alternator, legato tool allows for developer customization. Developers can produce just one sample format.

Cons:
    You can\'t edit programs like you can in a full-featured soft-sampler. If you want more control over the samples you just bought, you are forced to buy the full version of Kontakt. You cannot load the samples into any other sampler you may already own and prefer, you have to buy the full version of Kontakt.

You are therefore at the mercy of...NI (Kontakt.) This also puts Gary, Nick, and Doug at the mercy of... NI. If GPO has problems with OS-X, calling Gary won\'t help other that passing along the bug info. Gary has to wait for NI to fix problems.

EWQL Silver/Gold/Platinum (using the Kompakt player) doesn\'t work with OS-X yet, but people posting questions to Doug and Nick are told \"Sorry, out of our control, this is NI\'s issue.\" So the libraries are useless until NI decides to fix the sample-player that you had to buy in order to get the product.

Also, when you purchase a sample library, you are only buying the license to use the samples. So as long as just you are using the samples, they can be loaded without any hassle on your own equipment. Now, we are also buying a license to a sample player, possibly multiple times. And along with that comes all the crazy \"keep the honest people honest\" authorization hassles for each license/library.

We are now one step removed from the developers if we have problems with their libraries. NI has done an amazingly good job at marketing their line of products. But I personally resent the idea that I will have to buy another full-version sampler (besides Halion which I love!) if I want to fully utilize many new future libraries. And I will be stuck with having to live with the features and the possible bugs/shortcomings of a single manufacturer\'s product with these libraries. This is great for NI, but not necessarily everyone else.

End of rant. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum