• Register
  • Help

Topic: which instruments' articulations in GPO ?

which instruments\' articulations in GPO ?

I just realized that I see nowhere on Garritan\'s site a list of the articulations available for each type of instrument in GPO.
    Would someone here care to tell us which they are, at least globally ?
    Sure the uploaded demos sound good, but I\'d be happy before ordering to know what I may expect on this matter !
    Thanks ?

Re: which instruments\' articulations in GPO ?

my post was not very lucky, so i\'ll give it a little \"bump\".
    Now there are many people who have received and explored GPO.
    And so far, still nothing about that on Garritan\'s site.
    Anyone here willing to spare of minutes and share the above-mentioned information ?
    It would be helpful for \"would-buy\" who prefer to know everything before a purchase, and for those who have ordered and now spend time trying to figure out.
    Thanks in advance !

Re: which instruments\' articulations in GPO ?

The instruments in GPO are designed to have as few separate articulations as possible. The design intent was to use clever programming to allow a single instrument to handle a wide variety of articulations. So, for example, a single instrument file, like Violin 2 Strad Solo, can be used for long bows, short bows, tremolos, trills, legato, a range of gentle to accented attacks, portamentos, and alternating bow strokes. Volume and timbre are controlled from the mod wheel, attack strength from velocity, legato/alternating bow strokes from the sustain pedal, portamento from an assigned MIDI controller, and random intonation/timbre variations from two other assigned MIDI controllers. Pizzicatos for the solo violins are handled in a separate instrument to complete the capabilities while using only 2 MIDI channels.

Wind instruments are similar in approach with the difference that the sustain pedal switches between tongued and slurred articulations. All capabilities of a wind instrument are handled in a single MIDI channel.

Most instruments in the library use a consistent set of controllers so that once you learn how to use any given instrument you have also learned how to use most other instruments in the entire library. This makes the library very easy to learn (but you still MUST read the manual to understand the design and function of the instruments or I guarantee you will not fully exploit my intentions in the programming. There are some unconventional things going on here!)

The result of this approach is that, unlike many other libraries, a list of separate articulations for each instrument doesn’t generally apply to GPO. One of the exceptions is the section strings. Each section has a sustain/short (long and short bow capability in a single patch), short bows (with automatically alternating up and down bows), pizz, tremolos, half step trills, and whole step trills. There is a keyswitch combination available for pizz, trem, and trills so a user could still have all necessary articulations in just 2 or 3 MIDI channels.

Most instruments follow the controller rules above but there are exceptions where the programming has been tailored to the unique requirements of particular instruments. A good example would be the chromatic harps where the sustain pedal switches between the full ring of the string and a damped version.

The subject of articulations is just another of the things about GPO that takes a little different “mindset.” Hope this explanation makes things a bit clearer for you.

Go Back to forum