• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and MIDI Ports - The Bottom Line

Share/Bookmark

GPO and MIDI Ports - The Bottom Line

Okay. What\'s the scoop on GPO and MIDI ports?

There have been posts here and at the Sibelius forum regarding GPO and its inability to connect to stuff. I\'m sure that it connects, but would like the difinitive answer of how to connect it.

VST
    ---

Is it just a VST? In that case a VST sequencer can interface with it. Is it more than a VST?

If a VST host is needed, can anybody recommend a VST wrapper that they\'ve successfully used on a PC?

PORTS
    -----

Assuming that GPO also runs standalone, does it publish its ports? Or do you select the ports that will feed it from a Kontakt menu?

For reference, Giga does both. You typically open the Giga menu to get MIDI from the keyboard. You set your sequencer to push MIDI to the published Giga ports. When you run your sequencer you click the little keyboard icon to make it flash red and disable the keyboard input.

So, does GPO publish its input ports, do you connect it to externally published output ports, or both?

PIPES
    -----

Sibelius connects its output to published MIDI input ports via selection in a Sibelius menu. Same with many pre-VST sequencers. If GPO doesn\'t publish its ports, then we need a pipe, such a MIDI Yoke. It can publish MIDI input and output ports and connect them. That lets me select MIDI Yoke in Sibelius, and in GPO, and all will work.

THE BOTTOM LINE
    ---------------

To connect an old-style sequencer (or Sibelius) to GPO

* Do I need a VST wrapper?
    * Do I need a MIDI pipe?
    * If I need either of these, what do you recommend on XP?

THANKS
    ------

For the clarification :-)

Re: GPO and MIDI Ports - The Bottom Line

\"...If a VST host is needed, can anybody recommend a VST wrapper that they\'ve successfully used on a PC?...\"

Hi Jon,

I\'m not a full time PC guy (I sequence/DAW on the Mac), but I can answer some of what you ask.

The NI Kontakt Player that houses GPO is available on PC in several formats - standalone, VST plugin(e.g. Cubase, or the bundled Cubasis), DXi plugin(e.g. Sonar), and (if memory serves) RTAS plugin as well.

I\'ve used GPO and Kontakt as a VST plugin on a PC (Windows XP Pro), driven by Midi inputs to the PC from the Mac, in two different VST hosts. GPO comes bundled with Cubasis, which I haven\'t tried personally. But I have personally used Steinberg\'s V-STack, and a nifty, no frills, but eminently capable app called Bidule (from www.plogue.com, available for the time being as developmental freeware).

Hopefully someone else can answer your more involved \'publishing\' questions ...

Trond

Thanks Trond.

So I guess I\'m interested in the standalone configuration. So, if I start the standalone GPO, will an older sequencer like Cakewalk \"see\" the GPO port(s)? Or do I go into Kontakt to select the ports that it will receive from. Or both?

Also, how many ports are supported in standalone mode? Can I start multiple instances to give more ports (and, hence, channels)?

Thanks all.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Thanks Trond.

So I guess I\'m interested in the standalone configuration. So, if I start the standalone GPO, will an older sequencer like Cakewalk \"see\" the GPO port(s)? Or do I go into Kontakt to select the ports that it will receive from. Or both?

Also, how many ports are supported in standalone mode? Can I start multiple instances to give more ports (and, hence, channels)?

Thanks all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The NI Kontakt Player for GPO will see \'published\' midi ports - whatever the OS thinks they are, you will see them as selectable options in the player\'s setup menu.

Someone correct me if I\'m wrong, but I don\'t think you can have multiple \'standalones\' running at once.

But Cubasis is bundled with the NI Kontakt player for GPO. Why wouldn\'t you use it? Why go the standalone route?

Trond

>> \"But Cubasis is bundled with the NI Kontakt player for GPO. Why wouldn\'t you use it? Why go the standalone route?\"

For me, specifically for use with Sibelius 3.0. I\'ve also got Cakewalk, which I know, as opposed to Cubasis, which I would need to learn. (Not that I\'m opposed to learning it, but there are some specific characteristics of the Cubase GUI in their demo program that I really disliked. But let\'s please save that for another thread.)

Okay, here\'s what I have so far:
    * GPO can run as a plugin of various flavors
    * GPO can run as a single standalone instance. (How many channels/ports does that support?)
    * In standalone GPO you can select which ports will drive it.

So maybe I will need a VST Wrapper that can instantiate multiple instances.

And maybe I will need a MIDI Pipe in order to connect Sibelius to GPO.

Can anybody help me remove the \"maybes\" from my above statements?

Thanks all.

Hi Jon,

We\'ve been at work to make GPO easy to use from any program- Sibelius, Overture, and Finale included. We\'ll have more interesting news than this soon, though I wanted to reassure you that we haven\'t overlooked Sibelius.

For a temporary solution on Windows only, I would recommend Maple Virtual Midi Cable from marblesound.com to provide the published midi ports you wanted. Then use Bidule from plogue.com to host any number of GPO VSTis that you choose, and connect Bidule and Sibelius together using the Maple ports.

Jeff, That was exactly the kind of definitive answer I was looking for. Good news, all the way from sunny Portland :-) (And thanks Trond for offering the information you had.)

THE BOTTOM LINE
    ------------------

* Use a VST wrapper to host multiple instances of GPO (e.g. Bidule from plogue.com), providing as many channels as needed.

* Use a MIDI pipe (e.g. Maple Virtual MIDI Cable from marblesound.com).

* More good stuff to come :-)

Hi Rob,
    If you\'re getting noticable latency then you can probably fix it by adjusting settings in Bidule. 6 millisecond latency should be stable with most modern computers, assuming the computer has a soundcard supporting ASIO. I believe 3 ms latency may be achievable with the fastest computers, though I can\'t personally verify this. I have my laptop (2 yrs old, 900 Mhz) set at 12 ms latency, but it\'s not exactly new or fast [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Assuming you have an audio card that supports ASIO, make sure you choose to use the ASIO driver within Bidule. One more step that is easy to miss, is to make sure that you use the same buffer size for Bidule as you do for your sound card\'s ASIO control panel.

I tried this but found the latency hopefully long, making it useless for live midi data entry. Of course, I have only a Pentium III 933 mhz 512 megs of ram; I assume that this ceases to be an issue with faster machines (and also, from what I gather, that Sibelius is working to integrate GPO more directly with Sibelius, as they\'ve now done with Kontakt Gold/Silver, to help reduce this problem?)

Fantastic advice. I followed it and the interminable delay went away, even with my (what I previously presumed to be) relatively slow Pentium 3 933 mhz 512 meg machine. I haven\'t tested to see how many voices I can manage (I doubt too many) but it\'s just a pleasure to be able to play a note from within Sib 3 now and have GPO play it without any noticable gap in time...Much thanks -
    rj

Go Back to forum