• Register
  • Help

Topic: What Happened To Windows 9?

Share/Bookmark

What Happened To Windows 9?

Microsoft has announced that the next version of Windows will be Windows 10. So what happened to Windows 9?

The general consensus is that either Windows 7 ate 9 or that Microsoft just wanted to spare everyone from having to skip Windows 9.

Re: What Happened To Windows 9?

Rumor was (and I have no idea of the veracity of this) is that a bunch of programs out there would check if it was running on Windows 95 or Windows 98 by just looking for "Windows 9"... which means that making the next Windows number a 9 would mess that up, so they decided to bump the number up one more and make it 10.

True or not, I laughed when I read this. :P
    -- Matt Wong

Well, I don't know why Windows 9 was skipped, but I wish it had happened Windows 8. I really don't like Windows 8, and I don't like my I7 notebook. I intensely dislike touch screen, despise the touch pad, and find the location of the keyboard abominable!! But it works, and is faster, and enables me to use high speed satellite. I use exede, which is the fastest and most reliable.

Richard

It probably comes down to the fact that Windows 8 was such a disaster and Windows 8.1 was too little too late. So Microsoft was probably frantically trying to figure out how to get something out the door that users would want to upgrade to and the slow down of PC sales also ment the slow down for Windows sales. All this was compounded by the dominance of Apple's IOS and Goggle's Android mobile platforms.

So no doubt at some point there was a decision made to postpone the next version of Windows until late 2015 to give Microsoft time to effectively correct course and enhance their products so that there would be a good chance of success.

Jumping from 8 to 10 is really a marketing decision as it gives the appearance that Microsoft is very serious about getting back on track and I'm sure that's is their true goal.
    Last edited by fastlane; 10-07-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Wow.

After some reading around and looking at the source code for a number of programs, it looks like that could well be true. There are a lot of programs out there which just check for "Windows 9" to see if the computer might be running Windows 95 or 98.

Silly programmers...
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum