• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO tuning: US or Euro?

Share/Bookmark

GPO tuning: US or Euro?

I just spoke with Gary this evening, but I forgot to ask him if he used US or European musicians for the sampling sessions and if they tuned to A=440?

Re: GPO tuning: US or Euro?

I can\'t imagine why any producer might produce a library NOT tuned to 440, it would be completely useless. I think any orchestra that participates in sampling sessions can and will tune to 440, wherever they are based.

I think the Halion String Library is tuned to 442 (don\'t quote me on that). That\'s the first time I have ever seen one at anything other than 440.

I would be curious to know if there are others.

I believe it was Simon who mentioned that the last lib to have been tuned a la European was Miroslov and even that had gotten a retune at a certain point.

cb

I think the audio CD version of Advanced Orchestra was tuned to A=443hz. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

You can adjust microtuning to suit your needs, I\'m not positive but I am pretty sure its the standard 440...

AL

GPO is tuned to 440.

Trond

\"GPO is tuned to 440.

Trond \"

Well that\'s good to know, but my original question concerned the actual tuning of the instruments used for the sampling sessions. More libraries than many of you are aware of were originally sampled at A=443 (or even slightly higher!)then pitch-shifted down to A=440. This DOES cause a slight shift in timbre no matter how good a job is done. Most European musicians don\'t particularily like retuning their instruments to accomodate U.S. composers though some have learned to like it if they want to work!!

Go Back to forum