• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looping problems

Share/Bookmark

Looping problems

Does anyone have looping problems with some of the solo instruments? I\'m getting a fast loop with an audible click on a few instruments. For example, the G above middle C on the Gagliano solo violin (or maybe its the Guarneri - it\'s one of the G named violins anyway) is very audible to me. I noticed this on the flute and a couple of others. Is there a setting I should check for, or is this something I should bring to Gary\'s attention?

Warm regards,

Re: Looping problems

Haydn,
    I plan to buy GPO, but reading your \"make sure dfd is turned off\" is turning on a red light in my brain :
    does that mean that dfd (N.I\'s \"direct streaming from disk\" if I\'m not wrong) is not working in GPO, so that we must rely only on ram to play the whole orchestra ?
    Well this would be pretty bad news, because if GPO weighs something like more than 1 Gb, it means using one whole computer JUST for it, right ?

I\'ve enountered this problem as well in a couple of spots and have already mentioned it to Gary. He\'s checking into it. It seems to happen when the mod wheel is pushed all the way up. But, again, only on a few samples.

I haven\'t tried the DFD trick, but will.

Originally posted by sirbellog:
    Haydn,
    I plan to buy GPO, but reading your \"make sure dfd is turned off\" is turning on a red light in my brain :
    does that mean that dfd (N.I\'s \"direct streaming from disk\" if I\'m not wrong) is not working in GPO, so that we must rely only on ram to play the whole orchestra ?
    Well this would be pretty bad news, because if GPO weighs something like more than 1 Gb, it means using one whole computer JUST for it, right ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">GPO was designed to run in RAM. Read more posts and threads in this forums on sizes over various \"instrument loads\".

The DFD issue is a conflict between the NI Kontakt player and the full version of Kontakt. I don\'t have that (I use HALion for streaming big libraries) so I don\'t have an issue.

GPO was designed to run in 1 GB of memory. All pieces I\'ve done to this point (about 15) have not had DFD turned on. All the parts fit into memory with over 100 MB to spare on the most dense pieces.

Yes I did read on garritan\'s site that 1Gb memory was recommended...
    But I thought it was the old saying \"the bigger, the better\", meaning that it was possible to do with less.
    And, if dfd must be turned off, I cannot see the point to use a N.I engine with dfd capabiliies, if it is not to be used ... ?
    Maybe it is just a temporary situation, because of some extra time needed for the developers to make a last \"polish\" on the product, or else there is something here that does not make real sense ?
    I was (am) very hot about GPO, but i\'d really like to know more about that before taking the boat.
    By the way, I made a post which remained totally unreplied, asking which articulations are available for the main families of instruments.
    I already own Edirol HQR, which does not sound bad, but lacks IMO a greater variety of articulations.
    I know, from the HQR demos, that talented demo-makers can \"hide\" this kind of drawbacks, so i\'m not sure I can take anything for granted just from what I heard on the GPO page.... That\'s why I\'d like to have a deeper glimpse at what is really in the box.
    Does someone here care to enlighten me on this articulations subject ?
    Thanks in advance.
    PS : Haydn, you say you made about 15 works with GPO. it would be great that we can hear some of them !

Let\'s get this memory requirement thing in perspective.

I have a full Mozart orchestra - 14 string instruments, 8 or 9 brass instruments, and 9 or 10 woodwinds - (the high memory solo versions wherever possible) - and I have a very credible sounding orchestra that runs in under 400 MB RAM (including DP 4 itself).

Personally - my experience based opinion - I find the 1 GB \'limit\' to be a red herring - Gary set it high, as he is a very conservative guy and doesn\'t want to mislead people - but you\'d really have to push things to get to 1 GB.

You can do some really serious orchestral music with 500 MB RAM and GPO.

Trond

You want to run with DFD off in the library mainly because you\'ll get higher polyphony counts. I\'m getting up to 200 stereo voices on a P4 2.4 GHz machine.

Back to the original issue, I too am getting popping loops. It\'s very prevalent in my system. I did not install the DFD functionality and I have plenty of RAM. My disc buffer is set high and it makes no difference. Would the people who are experiencing this problem mind posting your system info so that we can possibly track down the combination that is causing this problem. It may be Mac specific.

I\'m using a Mac Dual800, OSX 10.2.8, 1G RAM
    ProTools TDM v.6.1 is my sequencer.
    Instancing GPO as a RTAS instrument.
    My system otherwise runs flawlessly and has for over a year.

I get clicks too. Haven\'t really looked into which samples had it tho. I guessed it was some sort of loop point issue. They\'ll probably fix it as they fix the tuning of some of the instruments. Next update will probably be a huge improvement.

Go Back to forum