• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: demo on GPO please advice (link updated)

demo on GPO please advice (link updated)

I\'ve posted this tune in another thread, but I thought it might be better if I started another thread. (sorry for the double post) This is a practice tune I did that takes a motif and puts in 3 variations. Normal->weak strings->full. There is also a part where I tried fading from high freq instruments down to the low instruments.

(woops, sorry)

Any advice on MIDI techniques or compositional techniques? The tune \"sings\" okay, but it could definitely be better. I\'ve had GPO for a couple of days, and please understand that this is among the first of my creations. Also, I\'m not an educated orchestrator so please keep that in mind too. I\'m learning alot from GPO! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My setup:
    Logic 5.5 on XP
    PIV-2ghz 512ram
    CW Plusar II soundcard
    uses reverb and stereo enhancing effects from Pulsar II.

Re: demo on GPO please advice (link updated)

It might help if you post the URL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

where is that tune?

Not sure if bumps are allowed in this board, but the link is updated.

Just got it downloaded...

I really like the percussion at the end, I usually don\'t use percussion in my pieces other than pizz for a general groove, but it works here.

Nice little comp, hope to hear more from you in the future,

Pretty cool stuff...

Consider using a different voice for the opening statement. If you a really committed to the trumpet, use mod wheel to provide a bit more phrasing, and trade off sections of legato and non-legato. I don\'t think the statement is long enough to warrant a \"breath\" type break inteh phrase, but that sometimes helps with realism. Other than that very small point, I liked it quite a bit.

Is it just me or is there some major tuning problems at the end of the piece?!

I really like this - nice work, especially for a first try. I\'m not sure if you have been using legato features, as this will open up another new aspect for expression if not (though please take what I say with a grain of salt if you\'re aware of the legato and have different choices in mind).

For any GPO patch aside from keyboards and percussion, you can play legato by pressing down the sustain pedal. You\'ll need to go to the GPO options, and set the \"Sustain /sustenuto pedal mode\" to \"No sustain / sustenuto operation, but midi controller\". When you choose this, it likely won\'t look like anything has changed (this is a bug in the earliest player rev) and it will still say \"Pedal mode\" - this is expected; press OK and legato mode will be available when using the sustain pedal. This procedure is needed for the early rev, but it works fine at least.

It seemed like the strings in the first half might be more what you\'re looking for when played legato. Cool either way [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thank you for the comments. The legato strings worked better in the first section. Something went wrong in the strings only section, and the legato doesn\'t sound realistic. Maybe I need to change the legato phrasing a little. Does anyone have other suggestions concerning modulation and orchestration?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast