• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dvorak: Serenade for Winds, op.44 - 1st movement

Share/Bookmark

Dvorak: Serenade for Winds, op.44 - 1st movement

Dear friends,

I have now recorded another work by Antonín Dvořák: the first movement of his Serenade for Wind Instruments, op.44.
    This Serenade in 4 movements as a very interesting and unusual instrumentation: 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 1 contra bassoon, 3 horns, 1 cello and 1 double bass.

http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....truments-op-44

I recorded this with the usual GPO4 instruments.

This recording dates back to 1995 when I made the first version as a standard MIDI file.

I hope you enjoy it!

Reinhold

Re: Dvorak: Serenade for Winds, op.44 - 1st movement

Reinhold,
    your love of Dvorak comes through, we share this.
    As usual from you, beautiful work.
    My 10 cent worth is that at the beginning and when this is repeated, the lead is lost in the strong bassoons, horns. Maybe only taking back volume on those would bring up the lead.
    I love this piece, thanks for posting it.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Reinhold,
    My 10 cent worth is that at the beginning and when this is repeated, the lead is lost in the strong bassoons, horns. Maybe only taking back volume on those would bring up the lead.
    Ted
    Hi Ted,

thank you for listening and for your insightful comment! I will fix this. Happens, because the longer I listen to a music piece and work on in, the less I realise my mistakes. It always needs a pair of fresh ears to point out such obvious shortcomings. Now when I listen to it after a few days break, then I too hear this incorrect balance between the instruments.

There was actually a technical reason for this: for some reason I was not able to control the track volume (cc07) to its fullest extend for several MIDI tracks; Sonar just would scale the values down, and I could achieve max values of about 64 for the first tracks (oboes and clarinets); as a consequence, the following tracks had higher volumes. I did not detect where this problem originated from; but I was able to fix this by copy and pasting all explicit events from those initial tracks into new ones, then remove the old tracks. All I have to do now is to re-record all the expression curves for each instruments, so as to achieve a correct balance. Will do this in the next few days.

Many greetings,
    Reinhold

It is so nice to communicate with you, you feel and know that I am not just criticize your work and you also know that our ears after a while compensate for mistakes, as we subconsciously correct.
    Regarding the volume problem, I think, but have no proof, that the original set of volumes in Aria are the culprit, plus the CC1 setting (mod-wheel setting). This two had gave me problems similar to what you described. The mod-wheel in strings controls attack, but in the brass and woods controls volume, same as CC11, expression would. I suspect your problem was a high setting of CC11 in Aria (Settings page, right side bottom).
    Maybe this helps, I hope,

greetings

Ted

Hi Ted,

a new version is online under the same link. I was able to re-record all expression CC01 values, and also have edited many of the attacks, which were either too low or too high. Now it sounds more or less as I had it in mind.

Let me know if with your sharp ears you detect an improvement, or if it has gotten worse.

Many greetings,
    Reinhold

GREAT!!!!!
    I am very happy about what you have done. I know this piece very well, I always liked it, as I love almost all what Dvorak has done, but your interpretation is giving me a new piece, it brings up things which I ignored before, and I am sure you are closer to what Dvorak had in mind than many of other available recordings.
    What you have done is a good example of the important role of computer generated music should be having, putting some beautiful music into a new light, with a new conductor like yourself making it new and beautiful.
    Thanks for posting it.

Ted

Re: Dvorak: Serenade for Winds, op.44

Thank you, Ted. I am glad that you like the new version.

Here is now the 2nd movement of this Serenade:
    https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...ck/ii-minuetto

first rough recording, needs still a bit of work, but I need to let this rest for a while before I edit it further.

Please, don't call this rough. It is done. I was floored at 4.10 with the beauty of answering sections.. Went back several times to listen again and again. It is masterful. and you are becoming too critical of your own work.

Ted

Hi Ted,

thank you for your positive comments! I have now completed the first recording of the third movement of this Serenade: "Andante con moto". I find that this movement has quite some advanced harmonies and syncopated rhythm, somewhat ahead of its time. This time I did some real-time recording; as a result it is not exactly quantized, because I have reached the limit of my technical keyboard playing capability

The new recording is here:

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...dante-con-moto

Reinhold

This is highly unusual how Dvorak did this. I guess we will never know why he used this harmonies, but it works, and you did a nice job again. Thanks for posting it. I will come back to this and listen again ( and again). I was only familiar with the first movement.
    Just to brag now, tonight I am going to hear my choir piece in rehersal by a local 100 member choir!

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast