• Register
  • Help

Topic: survey of other mac users and the cpu usage they experience

Share/Bookmark

survey of other mac users and the cpu usage they experience

hey all.

i just wanted to do a survey on how big a hit each of your cpu\'s are taking when using gpo.

i use a 1ghz powerbook with the recommended 1 gig of ram.

i know with one gig you are suppossed to be able to load an entire orchestra into ram. but from my usage over the past few days i have seen that a 1ghz is far, far away from actually being able to have the orchestra perform in real time (unless i freeze a lot of tracks in logic.)

for example if i use the steinway with no reverb but use the sustain pedal. when i get to playing 64/64 notes i am at 50-55 percent cpu usage in the player. i know this is one of the more monsterous samples in the kit so it is why i chose it.

i am just curious how others with systems close to mine, particularly us laptop rockers, are doing with their cpu in gpo.

thanks for your time

Re: survey of other mac users and the cpu usage they experience

No good news. Although I inavertantly loaded up the \"wet\" sounds first, I could only get 1 iteration of Kompact on my Dual 1G (desktop) with 1.5g RAM.

ON My Dual 2G I haven\'t found the limit yet. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And most of that is two iterations of reverb.

So, I think you\'re hosed on a 1G laptop from Apple.

The PCs have the upper hand with GPO.

*edited* sorry - off topic - I\'ll ask the question in another thread

I\'m using GPO on my brother powerbook with 1.25 GHz because with my ibook G3 I can lood no more than 8 instruments (only 4 playing together) before having problems.
    In my brother powerbookok I reached the limit with 16 intruments and the Garritan reberver working. I\'m working on a string piece with 5 esemble solos 1st violins, 4 2nds, 3 violas and 3 cellos.
    It\'s not so bad but when I bought GPO they were talking about RAM and no about CPU so I thought that I could work with more than 4 instruments in my ibook! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    But the instruments are incredible, that it, I\'ll post something I hope for the end of the week to every one who wants to hear a quartet piece.
    Michael

I run DP 4.11 on a Mac Dual Gig, 10.3.1,

I\'ve said before, I have a full Mozart orchestra playing in real time. 14 or 15 string instruments, 8 or 9 brass, and 9 or 10 woodwinds. With lots of controller information on each and every track. In the tutti sections, I\'m at just over 90 % cpu. RAM required was under 400 MB for this orchestra, though I have 1.5 GB to play with.

You can do a lot on a mac, even an older one like mine.

A P4 2.4GHz XP machine, runs this same orchestra and piece of music at just over 50% cpu. Kontakt is currently more efficient on PC, it seems. Mac performance may get improved, we\'ll see what NI does.

Trond

Can be that phanter make the difference?
    I\'ll see, my brother will receive panther next week and I\'ll do the comparison, for now that is my experience.
    Michael

i really appreciate all of the replies. thanks everyone. now i can see the limitations of what i own and can employ workarounds until i can afford that g5.

Go Back to forum