• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: User demo posted

Share/Bookmark

User demo posted

Here\'s my first attempt.

http://newterra.chemeketa.edu/faculty/tabtech/Sib1-IV-D.mp3

This represents four days of work. I decided to learn GPO using a classical score because I can concentrate on learning the software and sounds without worrying about composing, voicing, etc. This is from Sibelius symphony no. 1, the 4th movement. I had to open an extra instance of Kontakt player to hold the KS technique strings (tremolo/pizz). I found myself doubling some of the more dramatic arco string parts with short tremolo notes to intensify the attacks. Sorry I stopped when it just started to get exciting. I wanted to keep the file size down and give you something to listen to.

Re: User demo posted

Wow. Beautiful! Almost perfect. Only problem is that the woodwinds sound a bit synthesized during the quieter parts, but this is great. Makes me look forward to getting GPO even more.

Super job man.
    Faith has been restored. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cb

Very nice! Well, sounds certainly like an orchestra to me.
    *wonders why people are mentioning cats in context with GPO* I mean: I know how cats sound, I have one. Perhaps those people should get a one too...

Could you please render a version without those tremolo notes, so we can hear the natural attacks of arco strings?

Thanks for the demo!

The woodwinds do need a bit of tweaking yet. The problem arises when you layer a solo instrument over an ensemble sound to make a section. Depending on the voicing, the solo part will be routed to the next available note. this tends to make the section sound uneven. A little more experimenting should add more realism to it. As far as the arco strings, the first motive section contains no doubled tremolo.
    I\'m still searching for the elusive alternating bowing effect. From what I understand, it is included in every solo string instrument and is activated by the sustain pedal. I think that type of control will need to be input \'manually\' on the computer screen. Anybody else figure that one out?

Good point, tabtech. I hope there aren\'t any functions in this program which absolutely require the use of MIDI instruments and anything which doesn\'t come with the package itself.

You can just install the GPO and go right ahead programming music on any modern (i.e. post-2002) standard PC, right?

Originally posted by tabtech:

This represents four days of work. I decided to learn GPO using a classical score because I can concentrate on learning the software and sounds without worrying about composing, voicing, etc. This is from Sibelius symphony no. 1, the 4th movement. I had to open an extra instance of Kontakt player to hold the KS technique strings (tremolo/pizz). I found myself doubling some of the more dramatic arco string parts with short tremolo notes to intensify the attacks. Sorry I stopped when it just started to get exciting. I wanted to keep the file size down and give you something to listen to.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Originally posted by cuba:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by tabtech:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great Job !

Thank you tabtech. That was a very enlightening demo. The strings and flutes sound wonderful. The only slight minus might be the oboes/cor anglais - but they always seem to be problematic in any lib. Their naturally nasal qualities never quite translate satisfactorarily to samples.

Congratulations
    Heath

This exercise was a great learning tool. I am finding out that there is much more to explore with this product. I haven\'t even listened carefully to every available instrument yet. The manner in which the sections are built is vital to the performance and blend as well as the overall system performance. I special ordered a new computer with 1GB of fairly fast RAM and still heard some clicks when all the instruments were playing at the same downbeat. It took some creative adjustment of attack times to make them go away. This may have to do with some other background processes running on my computer that don\'t need to be there. Like Gary says, don\'t expect a full orchestra to play with less than 1GB. I plan on adding at least 512MB more some time next year. Generally, I can use one section instrument or solo instrument with one overlay to make a section. With the right combinations, it sounds real nice.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast