• Register
  • Help

Topic: How easy is GPO to use for a complete newbie?

Share/Bookmark

How easy is GPO to use for a complete newbie?

With regard to computer sequencing, I\'ve only ever done tracking -- originally with Fast Tracker 2, and these days with ModPlug Tracker. I\'m quite competent with this technique and have done a lot of orchestral pieces with it, as scores to my short animated films.

How different is sequencing to tracking? Will I be thrown in at the deep end when I first use GPO, or is it fairly easy to get used to?

Re: How easy is GPO to use for a complete newbie?

I think it\'s much easier. I don\'t think you\'ll have much problem. I used to do alot of tracking as well, and still find it has some advantages. I recently found a free tracker-style program (for PC) that supports VST plugins/instruments. I haven\'t used it a whole lot, but it does seem to work. I think you can find it at hitsquad.com/smm

Cool. Thanks for the info -- it\'s been harder than you might think to find an opinion from somebody who also comes from a tracking background.

I\'m using version 1.14 of Modplug Tracker and it supports VST plugins too, although I don\'t have any VST plugins. Usually I save my song to a WAV or MP3 file, then go and add reverb in CoolEdit, as well as any additional mastering and stuff.

Are you planning on continuing to use ModPlug Tracker and running GPO as a VST plugin or are you planning on using a midi sequencer?

I used to use Fast Tracker (and Scream Tracker before that) and then switched to Logic. It took me a little while to adapt my thinking from the thought process of the tracking programs, but once you get used to the midi sequencer you will have much more power over the subtle nuances within the instrument through various midi controllers.

I think GPO is good especially if you come from a tracking background. I\'m originally from the digitracker era. Anyhow, GPO requires you to do alot of control changes and you\'re probably accustomed to it in tracking. Switching over to sequencing, I think you\'ll catch on very quickly. Also, in sequencing, you don\'t have to do hex code. Just draw in your controller curves. (I\'m not sure what the recent trackers have)

Originally posted by kensuguro:
    (I\'m not sure what the recent trackers have)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now it\'s called automation, works the same as say the MOD wheel controls...

I came from a tracking background, never worked with samples before GPO and DIVA...

I found both libraries easy to begin composing with right away, and GPO sounds more fantastic with each piece you do, because once you get into it, it has all these controls that aren\'t apperent on the surface, that really improve the sound, and make it much more flexible than I had originally thought...

Definetly get it, you\'ll have a lot of fun,

AL

Originally posted by Daedalus:
    Are you planning on continuing to use ModPlug Tracker and running GPO as a VST plugin or are you planning on using a midi sequencer?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m planning on using the Kontakt software that comes with GPO. If Modplug Tracker lets me use the GPO straight away, that could be interesting... though it\'s really designed more for MODs, XMs, S3Ms and ITs than it is for MIDI files -- but it does have that capability. I\'ll use whatever ends up working best, I guess.

I\'ve heard Kontakt is kind of old and not that great but I don\'t want to have to buy any more music software for a while after GPO. Does Kontakt let you do everything with GPO that you\'d want?

I think you\'ve got the wrong impression. Kontakt player IS the VSTi. So, from my assumption, you\'d be able to load Kontakt player into MODplug and control it from there. GPO itself is only a set of Kontakt samples. You can\'t use Kontakt to compose tunes cuz it\'s just a sampler.

Ah, I see.

I should probably start fiddling around with the VST plugins available for ModPlug Tracker and see what\'s out there.

Go Back to forum