• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Just to make sure : can GPO stream or not at all ?

Share/Bookmark

Just to make sure : can GPO stream or not at all ?

I remember having read somewhere (guess it was from Haydn, but I\'m not sure) that GPO has been conceived to load all the library in ram.
    Does it mean that the Kontakt\'s engine streaming capability has been totally disabled in GPO, or not ?
    I mean, even if everything can hold in 1 Gb, it might be handy to be able, sometimes, to stream a little and then spare some ram for another use.
    So ?

Re: Just to make sure : can GPO stream or not at all ?

Hi sirbellog ,

Sorry I don\'t have an answer only another question.....

If the library is larger than 1GB (isn\'t it nearer 2GB ???) how does it fit into only 1GB of RAM [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

The NI Kontakt Player for GPO does not stream from the hard drive. It really doesn\'t need it, as a practical matter. The library loads very quickly into RAM, and as you know, RAM is far is far more efficient.

Here\'s some perspective on the RAM needed to run GPO. Unless you have a totally bizarre and totally unrealistic orchestration (for example, all orchestral instruments, including all the different solo instruments, plus piano, harpsichord, harps, pipe organ, etc.) I really doubt that you\'d ever load half of the library at a single time.

My loaded orchestras have personally never exceeded 700MB in RAM - including Digital Performer 4.11 and the full piano (this for a full Mozart orchestra with piano). A very credible, complete orchestra easily fits within 500MB, in my experience. My personal opinion is that the suggested 1MB of RAM is a conservative, \'you\'ll probably never use it all\', kind of recommendation.

Trond

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Unless you have a totally bizarre and totally unrealistic orchestration (for example, all orchestral instruments, including all the different solo instruments, plus piano, harpsichord, harps, pipe organ, etc.)
    Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">-----
    Thanks Dnortana for your reply, but...
    All right, let\'s forget about ALL solo instruments, but I see nothing \"unrealistic\" in having the full orchestral at disposal, even if some instruments do not play very often.
    And if you try yourself to a violin or piano concerto, you need the whole orchestra, and, at least, one solo instrument !
    In fact, it\'s often what happens in a real orchestra : all musicians are here from start to end, but many play only 50% of the time....

Its funny, I don\'t quite get this.

The whole thing about the soft sampling revolution, led by Gigastudio, was that being able to stream from disk allowed us to load much much bigger sample sets - and this meant better sound, more articulations etc.

I\'m now developing my multi-rig system around trying to have as many quality sounds as possible \"on tap\" so that I don\'t have to fiddle about finding them and loading them, and I can just get on with the music. There seems something inherently contradictory about a soft sampler that only works in RAM.

The whole thing about the soft sampling revolution, led by Gigastudio, was that being able to stream from disk allowed us to load much much bigger sample sets - and this meant better sound, more articulations etc.

I\'m now developing my multi-rig system around trying to have as many quality sounds as possible \"on tap\" so that I don\'t have to fiddle about finding them and loading them, and I can just get on with the music. There seems something inherently contradictory about a soft sampler that only works in RAM.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think the idea is clear from your statement that you are developing a multi-rig set up. That translates to expense. GPO is designed to run quickly on one machine so ideas can be sketched out as painless as possible. And with less expense then a multi-rig set up entails.
    Makes sense to me. I look forward to receiving my copy, which won\'t be till January according to my retailer.
    Cheers,
    J

Originally posted by Ouch that hurts:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You might after you listen to the demos. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by dnortana:
    The NI Kontakt Player for GPO does not stream from the hard drive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I had no idea! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Originally posted by mitchb2:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by dnortana:
    The NI Kontakt Player for GPO does not stream from the hard drive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I had no idea! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The library was designed to run in RAM which allows for more polyphony. I\'ve done about a dozen pieces with full orchestras with RAM to spare with just 1 GB. Another design consideration was for laptops which normally have 4200 RPM hard drives which just don\'t stream well as they are too slow. Most desktop hard drives are 7200 RPM.

Go Back to forum