• Register
  • Help

Topic: patch changing and other cc's within layers

Share/Bookmark

patch changing and other cc\'s within layers

hello,

As many of you know and have found out, we all find gigastudio 2.01.36 amazing, however.....I can\'t get anything done it in, too much downtime, clicks, etc.

So,
    This message and thread is dedicated to gigasampler 1.6.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem: I load up say the oboe, violin, viola, and bassoon from the x-sample libraries (.gig \'s that have multiple instruments within each gig) on say midi channel 1, and under layers 1,2,3,4 for each of these (oboe,violin,viola, bassoon). So are you with me........ layer1-oboe, layer 2=violin etc. within midi channel 1.
    Now within cakewalk pro audio 9.03, it lets you send or select patch changes (or any other kind of controller data for that matter) on midi channel 1, but it only affects the layer that I am currently looking at in gigasampler. I might also load the next instrument in the order that it has been loaded from starting the application. My question:
    Is there a controller change that gigasampler recognizes to select only one the layers on midi channel 1, and affect only one of the layers with say cc-7, volume data......or say patch changes......or expression controllers or whatever. How do you affect only one layer within this hybrid, or do I have to do this is gigastudio, which is too unstable for me. I have gigasampler working very well, and prefer to use it. Thanks for you prompt and complete answer. Anyone else have this problem????

sincerely

frustrated giga user

Re: patch changing and other cc\'s within layers

Layers may not be the way to go. You would need to edit your instruments and assign a cc to control attenuation. From cake, you set attenuation to zero for the sound layer you want to play, 127 for the one you want to mute. Even though you won’t hear the other three layers, you’ll still be using their polyphony.

Better to have the instruments loaded, and use patch changes to select what you want. At any given point.

Your probably right, layers don\'t seem to be the way to go, too hard to control, and I\'m not editing every instrument for each piece I create, that is nuts!! Using up this much polyphony is crazy too, especially when it is gigasampler.

Correct me if I\'m wrong, but there are no layers in gigastudio (only 4 ports, 16 channel for each port), and if you have it on a dedicated machine like I do, we need 64 channels of midi input to use all the ports, however I only use 16 channels with a sblive card.

Patch changes seem to be assigned on how you load the giga files into memory and in this order, at least in gigasampler, they appear as patch change options

(ie. load one gig file say oboe, which has 8 instruments, and then violin, which has 11, the first 1-8 will be oboe patches, and 9-19 will be the variations of violin........... +/- a few patch changes it seems).

Does this change when you shut down your machine and reload the performance?

Thanks for the reply.

> Patch changes seem to be assigned on how you load the giga files
    > into memory and in this order

Giga assigns program change numbers only when it’s needed to avoid duplicates. If you give all your instrument a unique number, they will always get that number when loaded into GS. This is somewhat difficult with the Xsample libraries because they have sooo many instrument variations.

> Correct me if I\'m wrong, but there are no layers in gigastudio

True. The 4 ports can be linked to get the layered effect.

> Does this change when you shut down your machine and reload the performance

The saved performance will preserve all the patch changes.

Go Back to forum