• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading an orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Loading an orchestra

I have about three hours of various orchestral pieces that need to be mocked up in a short amount of time. What would the experts say would be the best way to save time? I\'ve always started with blank unloaded tracks, searched for the instrument that I had in mind and built my orchestra with only what I needed. I\'ve been reading about people creating full orchestra templates. This would take several instances of Kontakt wouldn\'t it? And several audio tracks would end up being rendered which would then be mixed for the final version. Are these templates made of various sections (instances of Kontakt)? I\'m just looking for the most efficient and time saving set up.

Re: Loading an orchestra

I would recommend that you section your istruments with the NI universal sustain pedal issue in mind. If MI fixes the issue and lets each kontakt instance have its own sustain behavior, then you want to make sure your instruments are grouped to properly leverage the same sustain pedal behavior. You don\'t want to hacve to re-do the template after the \"fix\" Kontakt.

I would setup some generic templates. Here\'s my suggestions if using Kontakt:

Instance 1 - Sustain+Short, Short Bows and Pizzicato for each of the 5 strings sections (15 instruments total)

Instance 2 - Harp and Celeste (These use the different sustain pedal settings)

Instance 3 - Timpani, snare, cymbals, bass drum

Instance 4 - French Horns - 4 ensemble instruments plus at least one solo. You can then add mutes and others depending on the piece.

Instance 5 - Trumpets (3 ensemble and one solo), Trombones (2 tenor ensemble, tenor solo, bass trombone) and Tuba

Instance 6 - Woodwinds (contrabassoon, 2 bassoons (ensemble), bass clarinet, 2 clarinets (ensemble), english horn, 2 oboes (either ensembles or solo), 2 flutes (One vibrato and one ensemble), piccolo

You can then add solo instruments in each section for the solo passages without using extra RAM. Add the solo instrument to the same instance as the ensembles so you can share the sample pool in that instance. All of the above should load into 1 GB of RAM with 200 MB to spare.

Thanks for the responses. I\'m sure everyone will find these ideas useful.

Haydn,
    I just noticed that in your \"1st Instance\" you had 15 instruments. I thought there were only 8 slots to load instruments into per instance. How do you do it?

Originally posted by Cody:
    Haydn,
    I just noticed that in your \"1st Instance\" you had 15 instruments. I thought there were only 8 slots to load instruments into per instance. How do you do it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He said that would be what he would do if using Kontakt, Kontakt allows 16 instruments, GPO and Kompakt only allow 8...

AL

I setup most of my stuff in Kontakt and usually only use the player for testing it.

You will find templates already pre-made that should fit most purposes in the Kontakt player.

Go Back to forum