• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Please Read!

Share/Bookmark

GPO Please Read!

I want to take a second to complement Gary on something that may not be of importance to the average user.

Gary,
    This is the most impressive packaging I have ever seen.

Bravo!

I am off to fire my designer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Francis Belardino

Re: GPO Please Read!

I never brought it up because I didn\'t want to sound too much like a fan boy, but you\'re right. The packaging -- particularly the manual -- is great.

Gary is the king of packaging. Just look at GOS!

it\'s my first virtual library so I don\'t know how the others are, but yes the package is very beautiful but there is something more and more beautiful inside, you only have to try it!

Originally posted by Bela D Media:

I am off to fire my designer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Francis Belardino
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Cool, can I have his job [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ?

AL

It\'s certainly nifty. But I\'m not sure I like the overlapping CDs. When you finish with one disc and go for the next, it\'s kind of a pain to deal with. That said, I don\'t expect to be re-installing GPO very often, so nifty wins out over functional. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I like the packaging, but for my bifocaled eyes the manual\'s print size is too small.

Originally posted by crr:
    it\'s my first virtual library so I don\'t know how the others are, but yes the package is very beautiful but there is something more and more beautiful inside, you only have to try it!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The norm for this sort of thing is a photocopied B&W 8-page manual, if that. I\'ve heard much about Garritan\'s packaging... I like to read manuals and special packaging makes me feel special about the purchase.

GOS was the first time I ever saw documentation of the sort. I was not only felt special, but my respect for the Garritan product sky rocketed, before I ever even used it. I could tell the Garritan family/company cared about their product, in ways most companies do not. That\'s special. I know it costs money, but it speaks volumes for your character as a developer. I wish more developers would take some notes.

I won\'t mention any specifics, but I\'ve recieved some libraries where all I got was CDs with a photo copy of a track list for another format. The worst I ever got was a pile of Cds. That\'s it, just a pile of CDs. The samples are nice, but I\'ve never really dug in because frankly, I\'m just not inspired.

J-

There was a review of string libraries in this year\'s May edition of Electronic Musician (DVD was the cover story) and the reviewer said that the documentation practically left him in tears. I have to agree - it, like the library, is a masterwork in a class by itself.

I personally expressed my appreciation to Gary after I got GOS, and he sounded a bit surprised or perhaps even embarrased that I gushed so heartily. After reading that review, I feel double-justified in my gushing.

I\'ve written/edited and otherwise worked on synth manuals before (most recently the English translation of Arturia\'s CS-80V manual), and I can tell you it AIN\'T easy to get it technically right - target it to the audience\'s intelligence level - and leave them fully satisfied and ready to take off and use the product.

The Garritan approach to both the GOS and GPO documentation manages to to do all of those things in spades - worthy of a standing ovation before you even play a note. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum