• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Favorite Reverb with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Favorite Reverb with GPO

What\'s some of your favorite, or most used, reverb and settings/presets? Ambience? Kontakt? Outboard?

How do you like to set it up? For example, do you ussually just apply verb across the entire master buss or different amounts on certain instruments/groups?

Re: Favorite Reverb with GPO

Nuendo\'s Acoustic Stamp (offline process) using the Lincoln Center impulse from Garritan Orchestral Strings. I\'ll post the screenshot of my favorite settings when I get home tonight.

The really nice thing is that you can play with pre-delay, wet/dry balance, and high frequency attentuation and place the listener position to just about anywhere in the house.

Originally posted by yannitch:
    What\'s some of your favorite, or most used, reverb and settings/presets? Ambience? Kontakt? Outboard?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Still like the trusty old \"Rich Hall\" patch from the Lexicon MPX-1.

Sony\'s Acoustic Mirror. I also like Ozone 3.

I haven\'t gotten to use Ozone 3 on any of my GPO mixes yet, but I *do* like what it does, not to mention that there\'s some nice tape saturation with the loudness maximizer, and the EQ is silky. They have a \"Hall\" reverb that\'s really quite nice. I\'m going to be taking it through its paces over Christmas. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I actually cannot restrict myself to having just one \'verb. I have abandon all but one of my hardware \'verbs, a Roland SRV-330. My favorite plug-in \'verb for orchestral work is one by Prosoniq. I also have used Ambience a while before this. I have many more, but those get used the most for orchestral.

Btw, I would suggest to you all here to check out the \'Soniforner\' by Voxengo. I use it as a final mastering stage even after Ozone. It puts a nice sheen on strings, and can help greatly with brass that may be too bright or brittle.

I use my Lexicon MPX550 reverb (hardware).
    Fave settings: Concert Hall, Large Church

I also have a Roland SDE-330 3D Delay.
    Fave settinggs: stereo widening, short delay

Originally posted by robgb:
    Sony\'s Acoustic Mirror. I also like Ozone 3.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use Acoustic Mirror, because, well, it\'s what I have :-)

The follow on is \"which impulse is your fav?\"

I\'ll receive GPO shortly. (I talked my wife into it being a Christmas *vacation* gift, so I don\'t have to wait until the 25th.) But I don\'t own GOS, so I don\'t have Gary\'s reverb impulse. :-(

Try SIR, impulse reverb, still free. and you can sound like most of the reverbs mentioned. It is a real cpu hog, but it works nice on the final mix on orchestras. Real space impulses are amazing. I use ultrafunk while contructing and SIR when mixing down.

One other thing I failed to mention in my post: I don\'t much care for the \'impulse\' type of reverb. I have found that while the tails of the \'verbs are great, the reverb sounds themselves just don\'t \'build-up\' the way a great artifical \'verb does or especially a real hall. When you send the tracks to the impulse it quickly starts to muddy up. I have used Acoustic Mirror and SIR (both very good) and have a friend who is a Mac user who owns the Altiverb. As an experiment I sent him a mix to add his Altiverb impulse--he has a great custom impulse of a famous hall in europe--and what I got back did not impress me as much as a mix I did with a borrowed Lex 480L. This is of course all IMHO.

If impulse works for you, by all means use it. But there is so much more depth to a great artificial \'verb that doesn\'t \'get-in-the-way\'. I just think they can\'t sound as wide or deep, and I have nearly 1.5 gigs of great (and a few not great!) impulses. I wish I had a terrific Lex.

Go Back to forum