• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: the best piano under giga

Share/Bookmark

the best piano under giga

Hey,

A question we have all pondered, but....
    I\'ve checked out almost all the pianos out there under giga, and have come to the conclusion that the steinway B(930mb), and gigapiano(~600mb) are the only completely well rounded solutions. I know this is an arbitrary question, but do others agree with this?

I find the trachtman(1gb and 2gb), and bosendorfer pianos absolutely amazing in their programming, but disappointing in the balance, tonal qualities, and real playability. Come on, 2gb..... this is sample bloat in the extreme, it is not really playable currently. There are other 32,64,128 mb pianos out there, but none have the depth and realism of the Gigapiano(~600mb), and Steinway B(930mb).

Of course I still play a real steinway and real yamaha because the sample libraries do completely cut it all the time.

Do others feel this way or not, for all solutions or what works for you?

peace,

Re: the best piano under giga

Just thought I would mention that the East West steinway B sample is also about 1.8 gigs worth of data. It is compressed and gets uncompressed as you play it.

what makes the other pianos so \"unplayable\"

Giga...

I don\'t like Gigapiano, I find the sample switching crude.

I\'m just sooooo glad to rid myself of the roland \"piano\" samples.. Arrggg..
    I haven\'t heard anything as nice as the gigapiano so far... I feel so spoiled..
    What a life saver...
    My wife can even hear the diff.. She\'s not very musically inclined..
    B

I\'ve been happy with the sound of the Gigapiano, but agree about the poor sample switching between velocity layers. I was working on a piece over the weekend and encountered problems with this. A velocity of 91 was too soft for a note, so I attempted to edit the velocity and increase it. Setting it to 92 switched the sample to the next velocity layer and was WAY too loud. Has anyone tried to smooth out these switch points using velocity filering?

I\'ve never heard the east-west St. B. I do a lot of ballad type stuff, so pedal-down resonance, tone, response, and clarity are most important to me. I would interested in knowing if anyone feels that one of the other pianos is better in this area.

Thanks very much!!
    Van Sotraidis
    http://www.mp3.com/VANMUSIC

(check out my first published composition using Gigastudio/Gigapiano called Dancing in Avalon at my website!)

Van,
    If you like the Gigapiano you will love the steinway B it is worlds ahead of gigapiano in playability and tone.

I would like to hear a review of the Holy grail piano for giga... anyone have it?

giga...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gigagagga:
    I would like to hear a review of the Holy grail piano for giga... anyone have it?

giga...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who makes the Holy grail piano? I missed that one.

Some months ago there was a thread describing how to apply filters to make the Bosendorfer better. I don\'t remember the name of the thread but a search for \"darkendorfer\" might unearth it. There was considerable positive response about the results. Someone also applied the technique to the Gigapiano and liked it.

Of the pianos I\'ve tried I like the Steinway B the best, overall. But all the pianos seem to have a problem with diminuendo: as you play more softly the body drops out of the sound and important lines are not properly heard. The response isn\'t quite right--a limitation due to the relatively small number of sampled velocities, perhaps.

Hey Doug,

That extreme drop off in level is probablya function of the choice of velocity curve and velocity sensitivity settings for the soft dimensions.

I\'ve got to agree that, for me, the most uncomfortable thing about most sampled pianos is the response at lower velocities. It\'s usually pretty ragged.

Holy Grail Piano is distrubted by QupArts and is available @ their web site quparts.com. I am looking for a review of the gigasampler version and it\'s about $299.00

giga...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:

That extreme drop off in level is probablya function of the choice of velocity curve and velocity sensitivity settings for the soft dimensions.

I\'ve got to agree that, for me, the most uncomfortable thing about most sampled pianos is the response at lower velocities. It\'s usually pretty ragged.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My theory is that most people rarely play softly anyway (either designers or users), so this area doesn\'t get a lot of attention. There is a saying regarding pipe organs that may be apropos here: \"A pipe organ is never finished--it\'s just finally abandoned.\" These Giga instruments are so enormous and complex it\'s not surprising they\'re imperfect in some respects--but I think they could definitely be better than they are.

Go Back to forum