• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reverb Control on Separate Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Reverb Control on Separate Instruments

I have GPO as well as gigastudio. In giga you can adjust the amount of reverb \"per instrument\". I have figured out if you can do that with GPO yet. I see the wet settings and a reverb knob but I\'ve heard that it is a resource hog. As for plugin reverbs in order to have separate reverb control per instrument it actually means per instance of the Kontakt player am I right?

Re: Reverb Control on Separate Instruments

Originally posted by Cody:
    I have GPO as well as gigastudio. In giga you can adjust the amount of reverb \"per instrument\". I have figured out if you can do that with GPO yet. I see the wet settings and a reverb knob but I\'ve heard that it is a resource hog. As for plugin reverbs in order to have separate reverb control per instrument it actually means per instance of the Kontakt player am I right?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I haven\'t loaded my GPO yet. But I assume the individual 8 outputs per instance will appear in my VST host\'s mixer where I can then adjust any amount of the Ambience reverb per instrument as I like. This means using the dry instruments in GPO.

BTW, Ambience is a cpu hog too, but you can dial down the processor requirements in it quite a bit before loss of quality is noticeable. Or you can render at full quality.

I guess that would work as long as you have 8 separate audio tracks and the outputs from the kontakt player set accordingly.

I initially tried separate instances of Ambience for each track as a send to a VST plug-in, but quickly ran out of resources. Now I just use one instance of Ambience as a master effects insert. Considering that GPO and my sequencer (Cubase SX) use up just about everything my brand new computer can handle, I may resort to trying using a separate computer for audio effects plug-ins sometime in the future. For now, I\'ve got one hall for one orchestra. The fix may be in the mix.

Ambience is a CPU pig on an Intel. Does better on AMD processors. I\'m actually much more pleased with Classic Reverb by Kjaerhus Audio myself, as it\'s not bad, it\'s free, and a LOT nicer on the ol\' CPU. All their free effects are quite nice.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/

Devon

Originally posted by tabtech:
    I initially tried separate instances of Ambience for each track as a send to a VST plug-in, but quickly ran out of resources. Now I just use one instance of Ambience as a master effects insert. Considering that GPO and my sequencer (Cubase SX) use up just about everything my brand new computer can handle, I may resort to trying using a separate computer for audio effects plug-ins sometime in the future. For now, I\'ve got one hall for one orchestra. The fix may be in the mix.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you saying that each instance of Kompakt/GPO only provides one input to your mixer in SX? I assumed the number of outputs would be more like Halion (multiple outputs).

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    Are you saying that each instance of Kompakt/GPO only provides one input to your mixer in SX? I assumed the number of outputs would be more like Halion (multiple outputs).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">For each GPO instance, I have eight pairs of audio outs in my mixer in Cubase SX 2. I would assume that any other host that support VST 2.3 would have the same.

When I do want to have reverb while tracking/editing, I set up reverb on an FX channel and then send accordingly - just like I would for a hardware-based mix. However, most times I mix dry and then process with Acoustic Stamp in Nuendo. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Houston, I am much relieved. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The way I usually set up reverb is to apply the reverb to an aux bus in sonar. I set the reverb to be totally wet (zero dry signal). I then use the bus send on the different tracks to pick up different amounts of reverb. This allows one to have different degrees of wetness on all tracks while not consuming any more resources than a single reverb.

Of course this only allows one to vary the wetness of the mix. If you wanted to vary the length of the tail one could set up a second reverb on another bus(although if you want everything to sound as if its in the same hall you generally should only vary the wetness).

Duncan

Go Back to forum