• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bundled Overture LE : is it woth it ?

Share/Bookmark
    PatS

Re: Bundled Overture LE : is it woth it ?

Overture SE is very similar to the full version of Overture. However, SE doesn\'t support lyrics, guitar frames and guitar tablature,though it does include a TAB clef and staff (maybe the developer overlooked those). Also, it doesn\'t offer control over the various \"libraries\" (e.g., fonts, chord symbols, guitar frames, drum map, expression symbols). These are the main differences, as far as I can tell.

Grab the Overture demo from here and give it test drive.

BTW, the Garritan team is working on something right now that will greatly simplify using Overture SE with GPO. More news to come shortly, I hope.

Pat

Overture is great. In some ways better than Sibelius, in some ways worse.

If used in XP, the mouse is needed less, therefore faster for people who like to use quick keys.
    PROS:
    You can manually edit all controller data in graphical windows. Makes it great for GPO.

You can have things played back \"as played\" or \"as written\" (quantized).

Chromatic note dragging (good for mouse composers)

Plays back hairpin dynamics without a plugin or entering invisible data on the score itself. Choice between velocity and volume.

You can enter the notes in step entry, then record the expressions only with either a wind controller or mod wheel. Makes things fast.
    CONS:

Fewer Quick Keys tan Sibelius (no \"R\" for repeat paste)

Must add rests by hand at end of measures or choose \"fill in rests\" from menu

No \"expressive\" playback (rubato, etc.) like in Sibelius.

----
    Other than that, very little to note. I\'ve used it since 1993. I also used Sibelius daily for 8 hours, 5 days a week, 6 months as a professional engraver for the Hal Leonard Corporation.

I would say that Sibelius is better for publishing, but Overture has more powerful midi data editing tools. (Better for GPO! ;-]

PatS

Originally posted by Jesse Hopkins:
    Plays back hairpin dynamics without a plugin or entering invisible data on the score itself. Choice between velocity and volume.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The latest \"testing\" version of Overture SE also includes Modulation (CC1) and Expression (CC11) for all dynamic symbols. This version should be available very soon.

Pat

Woo Hoo!

PatS

BTW, I intend to see the developer of Overture at NAMM on January 15. Send me your wish list, and I\'ll hand it to him in person.

Pat

Thank you for the information.
    So it seems that GPO is quite a deal, good orchestra + notation...
    Could even allow me to use the spare money to buy Silver as well.
    By any chance, do you know if there is an upgrade policy from SE to full version ?

I would be grateful if you could share your expertise . I find Overture unuseable for me.. I expect to be able to hear GPO when I enter notes.. But I can\'t..:-( Frankly I don\'t see GPO interfaceing with it at all.. So.. If you will. could you give a crash course in its use ?

Originally posted by EJ:
    I would be grateful if you could share your expertise . I find Overture unuseable for me.. I expect to be able to hear GPO when I enter notes.. But I can\'t..:-( Frankly I don\'t see GPO interfaceing with it at all.. So.. If you will. could you give a crash course in its use ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi EJ,
    Overture is not a VST/DX host, so the only way
    I can see of getting it to interface with GPO
    would be to save a midifile from Overture and
    load the midi file into your VST /DX host or
    by midi\'ing the GPO Kontakt player and Overture
    together with a midi loopback device such as
    Hubbis .

Of coarse the most logical thing to do would
    be to record your tracks in your host (Cubase ,
    Sonar etc) and then save a midi file from there
    which can then be loaded into Overture where it
    can then be embelished with performance
    directions etc for printing

PatS

Originally posted by EJ:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The immediate solution is to use Bidule and Maple Virtual MIDI Cable. After installing Bidule and the Maple MIDI driver, which will serve as a \"virtual MIDI cable\" between Overture SE and Bidule, configure Bidule according to the following diagram (GPO = Garritan Personal Orchestra VST instance; | = cable link):

Maple MIDI Port: 1(in)
    |
    MIDI Splitter_0
    &#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;& #0124; &#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;&#0124;& #0124;
    GPO-1 GPO-2
    &#0124;&#0124;_____&#0124;&#0124;____
    Mixer======
    &#0124;&#0124;
    ASIO for [name of your sound card] (duplex)

NOTE: This example only gives you 16 channels/instruments (8 per instance). For an additional 16 channels/instruments (two more GPO instances), you\'ll need to insert another Maple MIDI In port and another MIDI Splitter.

Set up each Personal Orchestra VST instance within Bidule. Then within Overture SE, select the Maple Midi Out: Port 1 under Options --> MIDI Devices. Make sure the track channels and instruments in Overture SE match those in the GPO instances (Windows --> Tracks Window). Otherwise, you might be in for a surprise when you click on, say, the flute staff and hear a trumpet when you start playing your MIDI keyboard. (Alternatively, set up the tracks in Overture SE first, then load the instruments in GPO accordingly.) If you don\'t hear anything when you play your keyboard, enable MIDI Thru within Overture SE (Options --> MIDI Devices: check MIDI Thru Enabled).

I\'m not at home to verify this configuration, so spend some time with the online Bidule manual and The Unofficial Bidule User\'s FAQ.

Pat

Bundled Overture LE : is it woth it ?

I\'d like to know if this Overture LE which comes with GPO is really a valuable tool, or just a useless \"bonus\" as far as orchestral writing is concerned.
    Before GPO\'s release, I was considering buying Sibelius, or maybe Finale...
    What are the limitations of this LE version ? I left an email on Geniesoft\'s site a few days ago to request information about the soft and upgrade options, but they never responded.
    Hesitating between GPO and EWQLSO Silver, a good notation program may do the difference...
    Thanks for your comments

Go Back to forum