• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Yamaha BC3

GPO and Yamaha BC3

My MIDI controller is a StudioLogic SL-1100.
    It has a CV input labeled Volume, but the manual states it can be assigned to any MIDI CC.

Will the BC3 work with my keyboard?

Re: GPO and Yamaha BC3

You must have an input that is calibrated to the BC3. Typically a simple volume control will not work as there is a bias/power voltage that is fed to the headset as well as the ground and return voltage. Most volume pedals use a resister, and the Yamaha BC line uses a strain guage, and it\'s possible that even if your jack has the right voltage/ground/sense on the right pins, it may not \"see\" the voltage correctly as the output impedence of the BC3 may not \"look\" like a static resistive potentiometer to the keyboard\'s sensing circuit, and cause the voltage to be either misread or ignored.

If there is a way for your volume control jack to correctly map to a BC3 it will be stated in your keyboard manual. It sounds like it can assign any controller, so you could use a pedal for CC2, but the physical controller options sound like they will be constrained to a typical resistive pedal.

I have a Kurzweil MIDIBoard, and got a hankering for a BC back when I sold my SY99 - so I went to eBay and got a Kurzweil Expressionmate for its BC input, and got a killer controller with front panel switches, CV and pedal inputs, and a ribbon controller, to boot. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I\'ve set the ribbon to control CC 1 and \"snap\" to the location wherever I touch and hold that value when I lift off of it. Pretty nifty and very accurate. I plan to map the BC3 (using EXPMate\'s special BC input) to CC 7 and see how that and the ribbon together will work for wind instrument parts. For strings I just use the ribbon and add volume articulation in my sequencer during editing.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So your Expressionmate is proprietary to Kurzweil boards, right?

What do I need to get to have breath control?
    Is there a standalone box that will take breath control and send out MIDI data?

Ohh baby! That expression mate looks good. I\'m currently using the midisolutions box for my breath controller. That has so much more for so little more in cash.

I\'d been hoping that this expression pedal I got would be useful, but so far I find it too clunky to use compared to the breath controller.

HI Guys,

I just measured the length of the large ribbon controller on my Kurzweil K2500XS - 22 inches! I think the ExpressionMate has the same exact ribbon on it. Imagine the sensitive cc1 control you\'d get with 22 inches to work with ....

There is a standalne box - but it ain\'t cheap.
    around 200 bucks I think. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by mitchb2:
    So your Expressionmate is proprietary to Kurzweil boards, right?

What do I need to get to have breath control?
    Is there a standalone box that will take breath control and send out MIDI data?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No EXPMate is not propritary - it *IS* a standalone MIDI processor.

Check this out: http://www.gearpreview.com/music/synth/exsion.html

Provides for breath controller input (Yamaha BC-1, BC-2, BC-3 all supported), two foot switches (one can be a CC pedal), two programmable front panel buttons
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Do a search on Google and find out more about it.

I got mine on eBay for $250 and it\'s a heckuva lot more than the box listed above.

Good luck.

Hey Guys, hate to rain on your parade, but good luck finding an expessionmate. I don\'t think you can find them new and they seem to be going for a premium at ebay - when they show up there. Not sure but they might be discontinued...

You could be right. I went to Sweetwater, who usually carries anything and everything Kurzweil, and my search for the expression-mate failed to turn one up. Closest I came was a 600mm ribbon controller for the Kurzweil PC2 keyboard:

I anyone was seriously interested in finding an expressionmate, I\'d suggest calling Sweetwater and see if they can\'t turn one up for you ...

Nope...I talked to my friend there....they are extinct.

Go Back to forum