• Register
  • Help

Topic: Terrible problems with GPO Kontakt player

Share/Bookmark

Terrible problems with GPO Kontakt player

From the word go I have had problems with the Kontakt player supplied with GPO.

1) When I load a sound into it there is either no volume or very faint sound. I push up the Kontakt individual volume control a bit but that\'s never enough. It all seems to be down to the screen Modulator wheel which Kontakt always sets at zero. So I push this to halfway up(c. 64) and get a good sound. Fine. Now I continue with my piece (in Sonar), geta good overall result and save the work. BUT when I reload the piece next time, all sound has gone, and I have to go to all the Kontakt instances I have set up, and manually tweak the Modulator wheel a bit (on EVERY instrument) to restore the sound. What is Kontakt doing while it\'s asleep?

2) As if that\'s not bad enough, all ensembles I have set up (5 in the piece I am working on) have got corrupted too, in that when I access the Kontakt screen for it, all the names in the eight slots have vanished, and clicking on them produces no result. Only one instrument name appears in the main Instrument header. So I can\'t tweak the Modulator wheel for the other instruments.

Anyone know what\'s going on? (Are you there, Gary?)

Re: Terrible problems with GPO Kontakt player

Hmmm...well, I cannot help you with #2, but with #1, I can suggest drawing in the modulation values you need at the beinning of each track, so that Sonar bumps those values up to an appropriate level. It would be nice if Kompakt saved all of these values in the bank files. I have the same problem in HALion when trying to set up volume levels for my drumkit across eight channels. I have to adjust MIDI Volume every time, even after saving patches. Good luck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Poolman,

I may be wrong but it sounds as if you are trying to set the mod wheel level by using the graphic representation of the mod wheel in the GPO player itself. You can use that graphic wheel for quick reference or testing of loaded instruments but not for recording – that’s not its purpose. This is because the mod wheel data (cc#1) from the graphic wheel is being generated internally at the player and that data is “downstream” and not routed to your MIDI tracks so your sequencer can’t “remember” any changes you’ve made. You must generate the mod wheel data either ahead of your sequencer – using a MIDI keyboard or other controller (breath, guitar, etc.) – or in the MIDI track itself by drawing the cc#1 data. The mod wheel dynamically controls volume and timbre, it is not a “set and forget” control. If you have a MIDI keyboard, with the mod wheel all the way down (as it is when the instrument is first loaded) you will hear the softest level the instrument can play. As you advance the mod wheel the instrument will get louder on up to its maximum level at full mod wheel travel. As an example, if you load an oboe you should control the mod wheel with your left hand and play the notes of the keyboard with your right hand. You then “shape” the volume of the passage you are playing by moving the mod wheel up and down to simulate the oboe “player’s” air flow as you move from note to note. If you wish to crescendo while sustaining a note, or group of notes, you advance the mod wheel gradually. Diminuendo - the opposite. If you do not have a MIDI keyboard or some other type of hardware controller in your system you will need to “draw” these same actions into your MIDI track. Obviously, it’s much easier if you’ve got a hardware controller, like a keyboard. The maximum loudness of the instrument can be adjusted with the volume control in the GPO player but is best set by placing a single piece of volume data (cc#7) at the beginning of each MIDI track which can later be adjusted to balance overall relative levels between instruments. There are other MIDI controllers you will need to become familiar with as well - the primary ones are velocity and sustain pedal (cc#64). Please refer to your GPO manual for more information on how GPO is designed and how to use it. If you are still having difficulty with the design concepts give Gary a call or email him at gary@harps.com.

The Sonar problem is more difficult to diagnose from your description. You should definitely contact Gary for Tech support on this one.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, you have clarified several points. I did assume that setting the graphic controller would be remembered, especially when I saved the ensemble as a preset and reloaded it. Don\'t you think such matters should have been pointed out in the manual? So I take it you are saying the position of the graphic controller is irrelevant because it should now be set in the recorded track?

I think the main reason I was running into trouble was that I hadn\'t recorded the tracks using the mod wheel, but was coverting an old Sonar recording by changing the chosen instruments to the new GPO ones. So I\'ve got to set every track to cc1 at 64, say, in future? Hmmm ...

Tom,

thanks for the great MIDI lesson. I thought you could use the virtual mod wheel to record. My keyboard (Yamaha P120) doesn\'t have a mod wheel so I need to figure out an alternative for the mod wheel. Can I assign the mod wheel to a 2nd pedal connected to the aux pedal jack? I might just buy a little Midiman or Edirol controller, but if there is way I can use my Yamaha it would be better. I really don\'t like the idea of drawing in the data. Thanks,

Aaron

Poolman,

Always record your modulation (volume) setting at the beginning of each track. Sonar will then set the volume levels properly.

If you have prior MIDI tracks that have CC7 (volume) recorded, you can use the interpolate command to change them to CC1.

Haydn,

Yes, that\'s a good point about changing the existing volume changes to Cc1. I had already thought of it but haven\'t tried it yet.

Meanwhile, setting the modulator level at the beginning of each track works fine. It\'s a pity the manual didn\'t warn us of this. I see other people in the forum have been having trouble over the feeble volume you get otherwise.

Having same problem here. Using Cubase SX 2.0, latest revision. An help appreciated.

\" 2) As if that\'s not bad enough, all ensembles I have set up (5 in the piece I am working on) have got corrupted too, in that when I access the Kontakt screen for it, all the names in the eight slots have vanished, and clicking on them produces no result. Only one instrument name appears in the main Instrument header. So I can\'t tweak the Modulator wheel for the other instruments. \"

Further...in my case, subsequent instances of Kontakt will sometimes crash the system, and it\'s a nasty crash too....blue screen....turn it off..that sort of crash.

Go Back to forum