• Register
  • Help

Topic: # of instruments per RAM?

Share/Bookmark

# of instruments per RAM?

Looking for an answer to these questions from another thread.

Thanks,
    Shaz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Ed Lima:
    Okay, so let\'s get an idea from 512MB and 256MB GPO users as to just what kind of ensembles they can load into their respective RAM setups.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Shazbot:
    Any feedback on this would be very welcome. I mean, I\'m planning on ordering GPO anyway in a few days, but it would be nice to know what I can expect to be able to use with it in the short term before I get a stronger system next year.

I have 512 RAM (of which only about 180-200 ever seems to be available, per my earlier post in this thread). One thing I\'d like to attempt with GPO (\"attempt\" being the key word!) is my own version of Albinoni\'s \"Adagio\". I should only need about a dozen instruments for that, and hopefully 180-200 MB of RAM is more than adequate for that. ??

By the way, by any chance is anyone else already working on a version of that piece? Do I need to call \'dibs\'?

Thanks,
    Shaz
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Re: # of instruments per RAM?

I dont know for sure, but I know I sure do love Albinoni\'s \"Adagio\" and look forward to hearing your version [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What program are you using? There\'s alot more options these days like \"Freeze\" commands (Logic,Cubase, Samplitude) and also to simply bounce-to-disk a few tracks at a time and build your piece like a house. You can also, if you have Kontakt, try direct stream from disk - though from what I\'ve read in this forum I\'m not too sure it works perfectly.

I\'m sorta in the same situation, where I only have about 384MB or somethin RAM... I ordered GPO too, and only plan on using a few intruments at a time for this project I\'m currently working on. I have this program called \"FX-Freeze\" which can semi-automatically bounce-down and unload the sampler\'s RAM - which I\'ll likely make use of as it seems to work great with every VST plug I\'ve tried it on. You can try the demo out free for 14 days I think. http://www.fxfreeze.com/

This is hard to answer as different instruments use various amounts of RAM. Many of the Ensemble instruments will only use 3-5 MB of memory. The piano will take over 100 MB even with the lite version. The strings use a more but you can get a basic string section with under 100 MB but you won\'t be able to use multiple articulations on all the sections. Percussion instruments don\'t use much.

Hope this helps.

On a 1.8Ghz Dell precision workstation 310 with 512 megs of ram, I was able to load 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 1 bassoon, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 4 horns, 1 tuba (all sections except the tuba) and 1 harp (lite) on the third instance of GPO. When I started to add strings, I got a memory low warning. That was on the third instance of GPO VST in Sonar 3.

However, the CPU was kicking 100% (with the appropriate distortion and stoppage) when I added the harp, so that was a full load for my machine.

-- Martin

I just got GPO and started playing with it, but the first impression on 256 M Ram, one Kontakt instance as a plugin in Cubase VST 5.1: You can fill up one instance with 8 instruments, if you\'re lucky. We\'re talking average length that\'s to be found in the lib. Forget all Steinways, forget full harps. Most Multi\'s seem to work (string quartet, pipe organ..).

The piano will take over 100 MB even with the lite version. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">When I load the regular Steinway Grand sample, the kontact VST says it uses around 500 MBs of RAM not 100!!

But I must admit, the piano alone in GPO is better than most sample librarys that are piano specific. What do you think?

The regular Steinway Grand is about 250 MB in size. It\'s good idea to check how much RAM your system is using before loading up your music programs. Most will use anywhere from 100-200 MB with just the OS loaded and drivers. Also, watch out for extra programs like antivirus, firewalls, Instant Messenger, etc. These programs really eat up memory plus put a hit on the CPU. The player will also use memory so there\'s your 500 MB.

Go Back to forum