• Register
  • Help

Topic: Echo MIA and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Echo MIA and GPO

Anybody else using the Echo MIA with GPO?

I\'ve loaded GPO on my Giga machine (Athlon XP, 1.5 GB, XP Pro, Echo MIA), and it\'s been pretty unstable. I can audition some sounds, but that\'s it.

I think I\'m getting closer to stability. I updated to the latest MIA driver. I selected MIA WDM ASIO from GPO and set the buffer to 1024. I\'m also now using dry sounds. I recently learned that \"wet\" is synthetic, not ambient. Things held together for a bit longer this time. Also, I didn\'t dare touch the sustain pedal.

My test came to an end after I got bold and tried to run Giga alongside. The GSIF buffer is 128, and I think this confused things. Both played together, but GPO then became heavily detuned. (Remember Alvin and the Chipmunks?) But no blue screens. I\'ll try more combinations tomorrow.

Anyway, if you\'re using GPO and MIA, let me know your results.

Re: Echo MIA and GPO

Jon,

Do a search on Mia in this forum, you\'ll turn up many items. If I recall correctly, Bruce Richardson had a thread recently, where he was trying to organize people to get Echo\'s attention about this card.

Trond

Frankly the MIA card is actually just sh*t. I have never liked it for any serious audio work. It always needs huge buffers to work at all, and even when it does it has much latency. The problem is inherent in it\'s somewhat ill-conceived design. The \'virtual\' outputs cause latency and other problems that cannot be overcome with driver re-writes. I recommend using a Terratec EWX 24/96 card (or two!) as it works great with Sonar and lets you run the Giga without problems if you use one card for Giga and the other for SONAR\'s DXi\'s. There are better solutions too, but the Terratec EWX 24/96 is being discontinued and I\'ve seen them going new for $75.00!! Little more then a Soundblaster.

I spent Friday afternoon using GPO on a Dell precision workstation with a Mia (not midi) and it worked beautifully. The only issue I had was when I first started, I had to increase the buffer size and number of buffers in Sonar. After that, it was completely stable until I got up to 16 (wet) instruments. Then my cpu gave up the ghost. I\'m going to try dry instrumenets on Monday and see how that works out.

-- Martin

>> \"Frankly the MIA card is actually just sh*t. I have never liked it for any serious audio work. It always needs huge buffers to work at all, and even when it does it has much latency.\"

I get away with 128 bytes with Giga (but 1024 with Konpakt/ASIO!!!) At 128 bytes I can\'t hear any latency. At ASIO-1024 I hear it, but it\'s still playable. When I powered up GPO the first night, ASIO defaulted to 5500. Talk about playing the keyboard with a long, rubber stick!

I like that the MIA has balanced I/O and the virtual outs. But if I heard latency at its lower buffer limits, I\'d be unhappy with it too.

Go Back to forum