• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to get a clarinet in A

Share/Bookmark

How to get a clarinet in A

Unfortunately GPO only supplies clarinets in Bb, of which the lowest note E sounds D.

If you want an A clarinet to sound its lowest note E = C# (as in the Mozart Quintet, for example) it just won\'t happen if you record the written notes and transpose down 3 semitones in your sequencer. The bottom note will be missing.

The workaround is to retune the clarinet in Kontakt using the Tune knob and setting it a semitone lower (-0.94 ST is as near as I could get it) and then transpose the part down only 2 semitones in the sequencer.

I cannot guarantee the timbre will be exactly that of an A clarinet but you won\'t know the difference.

Incidentally the GPO Solo Clarinet is hopeless at quick passages and cannot deal with the Mozart. Use the Bb Clarinet Ens1. In general I have found all the \"Solo\" instruments to be pretty unusable so far, because the attacks are so sluggish, and the Ens instruments are streets better. I\'ll have more to say on this topic when I\'ve tested them all.

Re: How to get a clarinet in A

Tom,

I take on board what you are saying, but there are still difficulties. I began by using an existing recording of the Mozart Clarinet Quintet I had made some time ago, and was disappointed with the Solo Clarinet\'s very first phrase. I was not entirely right about sluggish attacks; sometimes it seems the attack is there but the rest of the note is cut short. Yet played with Clarinet Ens1 the result sounds perfect, and I cannot fault it. That\'s something that needs explaining, for a start. (See also my post \"Beware of solo instruments in GPO\").

I appreciate that playing an existing recording is not the same as making a new one (though why should it differ?)so I have tried playing the Clarinet Solo from the keyboard, with the pedal as you suggested. This sounded good (live) but when recorded in Sonar3 and played back, we had the same old stuttering again.

I would welcome further comment and/or help.

Not quite sure what you mean by stuttering. I use Sonar 3 and the solo and ensemble instruments respond identically. What you hear recording should be the same playing back. If not, then Sonar is probably not configured properly. Do you have a MIDI loopback issue? Have you changed the velocity level for the track? Are there tempo changes in your track and your using the DXi version? There is a tempo change bug in the DXi version which changes note lengths. Fix is to use the VST wrapper and the VST version.

Poolman,

I’m heading out the door right now and won’t be back until tomorrow so I’ll have to give you the short answer for now. I’ll try to post more detailed info later, but basically, if you find the solo wind instruments too sluggish to play a particular passage (from Mozart or otherwise) you are not using the instruments as designed. They are designed to approximate the function of the real instruments as much as possible. The key here is the proper use of the sustain pedal and being certain that the sustain pedal is in the correct mode (option #2 for cc switching). With the sustain pedal up you get the full attack of each note as tongued and the strength of the attack depends upon velocity. The full attacks of the “pedal up” will always seem more sluggish than the “pedal down” mode because it contains the complete attack information that is so crucial to instrument identification. If the attack data had been edited the realism of the instruments would have suffered, resulting in a more synthetic sound – this is a fact of life in sampling. Fortunately, that’s not a particular drawback with GPO because with the sustain pedal down you get slurred notes. As with a real wind instrument you will find that slurred notes can be performed very quickly (response is virtually instantaneous). For utmost realism rapid passages should be approached with attention to tongue/slur combinations just as with the real instruments. If you do this you will be able to perform extremely fast passages without difficulty. Tip #1: The first note of a combination is always tongued. It is even possible to accomplish rather convincing double and triple tonguing passages by using combinations along with the application of VAR1 and 2.

For solo passages the solo instruments are always preferable to the Ens. versions because the solo instruments are considerably more detailed (more samples). The solo instruments are also configured in “mono mode” by default so they are able to handle such things as trills with a minimum of data editing after the fact.

One last thing for now: These instruments are designed to be performed from a keyboard, windcontroller, or other input device. That’s how the realistic results were accomplished in the best of the demos. I’ll try to give a more detailed explanation of all of this when I have more time. Eventually, there will be tutorials to illustrate the correct use of these features.

Tom

\"...Incidentally the GPO Solo Clarinet is hopeless at quick passages and cannot deal with the Mozart. Use the Bb Clarinet Ens1. In general I have found all the \"Solo\" instruments to be pretty unusable so far, because the attacks are so sluggish, and the Ens instruments are streets better. I\'ll have more to say on this topic when I\'ve tested them all...\"

I think your not using velocity at %100 to get your hard attacks. You have to completely abandon your traditional way of working and do all your volume changes with cc1 (modulation wheel) This is not a drawback of GPO, it is it\'s best feature.

Haydn,

You say \"There is a tempo change bug in the DXi version which changes note lengths. Fix is to use the VST wrapper and the VST version. \"

Can you help me do this, please? I have tried several times and failed. I had already installed GPO as VXi, and trying a reinstall as VST produced no change. Do I have to completely uninstall GPO and start again? Please spell it all out.

And what is meant by a wrapper? I never came across this term before.

What version of Sonar are you using? If less than 3.00 you do not get the wrapper software for free. You install the VST versioninto a VST folder. Then you run the wrapper program specifically and tell it to include the VST you just installed. After you have finished you will find the VST version as a choice in your synth rack SEPERATE from the dxi version. The VST Version will be located in a subfolder called VST in the synth rack if you use the Sonar wrapper. incidently, if you do not have Sonar 3 you should scrape up enough to upgrade - it works WORLDS better with GPO.

The VST wrapper does come with Sonar 3 but you may have not installed it. It is on the installation disk for Sonar 3. You can have the DXi, VST and standalone versions all installed at the same time. So you don\'t need to uninstall GPO. Just run the GPO setup and install the VST version. Install the VST version in the folder that you setup when installing the Sonar VST wrapper. After installing the VST version then open up the VST Wrapper program which will have it\'s own icon (Sonar asks if you want to place the icon on the desktop - say yes). Scan for new plugins. The plugin should be found. Close the VST Wrapper program and then startup Sonar. You should now find the program in the same area you insert the DXi plugins. Usually there is a submenu for VST plugins.

Headcheese and Haydn,

Thanks for the advice, but I still can\'t get it to work! I have Sonar 3 by the way.

By VST wrapper I have to assume you mean Cakewalk VST Adapter 4, which I already had installed and ran through to find the VST version of GPO. It found it, but it does not appear twice in Sonar in the DXi list, only the original DXi which I had first installed, and which still gives me the tempo change bug. I put copies of the GPO VST dll in several folders, including the \"wrapper\" folder, but no joy.

What have I missed?

Rather than extend my reply above I\'ve decided to take some time to write a series of detailed essays on this and other subjects related to the use of various features in GPO. I will try to keep these essays relatively compact and easy-to-digest. I\'ll work on these as time permits and post each one as it is completed. For obvious reasons this will not be a particularly productive week or two but I\'ll try to get the first one up as soon as possible. These should compliment the planned tutorials (which will not arrive until sometime after NAMM).

Tom

Go Back to forum