• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beware of the wind solos in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Re: Beware of the wind solos in GPO

I haven\'t found that to be a problem with the GPO winds in OS-X. Most are quite lovely.

But I have found an annoying loop-point in one of the solo violins. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Overall the library is excellent except for the brass. But I can\'t seem to find any control over the sample attack and release. Since there seems to be plenty of empty controller knobs, I hope NI will offer basic control over attack and release envelopes in future upgrades. I mean, what sampler/synth plug-in doesn\'t have the basics?

(Yes, I know about the mod wheel. But this library is aimed at simplifying, not applying attack/release manually to every note.)

However, this is a great library!

Poolman,

GPO is quite capable of handling fast woodwind parts. Here are just a few examples of faster woodwind parts:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ballad-of-chicks.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ChineseDance.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Mercury-excerpt.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/scene1-excerpt.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Clarinet3.mp3

In order to play fast passages, you need to implement the legato mode using the sustain pedal. Otherwise you will hear the intial attacks and it will sound sluggish. This is discussed in detail in the manual beginning on page 30: \"Playing Personal Orchestra Instruments\". Tom will address this issue more in detail when he returns.

Another thing you can try is to adjust the polyphony. The solo woodwinds default to a polyphony setting of one. Just click on the polyphony box and type a higher value. Try raising it to 2 or 3 and see if this helps.

Perhaps when things settle down we can offer online lessons and tutorials to show how to get the most from GPO.

Gary Garritan

GPO does have control over the attacks built-in. This is changed by velocity. The harder you play the faster and harder are the attacks. You can see how this works if you have Kontakt 1.5 and above and open the edit window. Make sure your controller is putting out velocities up to 127. Some Yamaha controllers only go to 100. For fast quick runs, use the legato mode.

Beware of the wind solos in GPO

Following up my reference to drawbacks with the GPO solo instruments (see \"How to get a clarinet in A\"), I have now tested them all (dry versions only) and have come to this conclusion:

Much care is needed with the WIND solo instruments, which have sluggish attacks and will not sound every note properly in rapid passages. Using one of the Ensemble equivalents for solos will serve you much better. A notable exception is the pair of Tuba solos which cope at least as well as a human would, in a rapid passage.

The string solos do not seem to suffer from this drawback.

Which leaves me wondering what the solo winds are for? Slow melodies only, I suppose. Or have I missed something here?

Gary,

You said \"Another thing you can try is to adjust the polyphony. The solo woodwinds default to a polyphony setting of one. Just click on the polyphony box and type a higher value. Try raising it to 2 or 3 and see if this helps.\"

I raised it to 3 and all my problems disappeared. Naturally I wouldn\'t have thought of that because it contrasts strangely with what the manual says about Solo instruments needing mono mode.

I look forward to the appearance of tutorials etc. There would seem to be some subtle points we need information on.

Happy Xmas!

GPO is programmed the way I always tried to do in my own efforts. A big problem was finding woods&brass that responded quick enough to make this approach work, and finding samplers that had enough programming features to make it work (AO is problematic with this approach, particularily with brass). I believe some people just aren\'t use to using a mod wheel for volume and velocity for attack, so they program or play lower velocities then wonder why they aren\'t getting an attack. The GPO technique makes having separate samples for short notes much less of a need, without all the attendant problems of switching back and forth between samples.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    GPO does have control over the attacks built-in. This is changed by velocity. The harder you play the faster and harder are the attacks. You can see how this works if you have Kontakt 1.5 and above and open the edit window. Make sure your controller is putting out velocities up to 127. Some Yamaha controllers only go to 100. For fast quick runs, use the legato mode.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haydn - Thanks for responding. I am aware of how velocity controls note by note attack in GPO and many other libraries. My comment, suggestion actually, was that in a future upgrade NI include a basic A-D-S-R DCA envelope like every other VSTi that I own.

This would give me the chance to shape custom sounds. I use this type of feature all of the time. Since Kompakt player includes this, it shouldn\'t be hard to add to the Kontakt player.

Just a suggestion.

BTW, I don\'t own Kontakt 1.5 and don\'t plan to. Halion works perfectly for me in OS-X with very efficient streaming and near-perfect Giga import. Plus, most of my favorite libraries now have Halion-native versions that offer even more powerful features than my original Giga versions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum