• Register
  • Help

Topic: keyswitching instruments

Share/Bookmark

keyswitching instruments

Can any one offer a detailed explanation on how to create your own key-switchable multi-layered instruments in GS edit?

I\'ve seen this question posted efore and read the threads but I\'m still confused.

Example:
    I recently got the Giga version of the Vitous solo instruments. For Violin the cd includes several giga instruments (violin spiccato, violin pizz., det.,etc.), and one keyswitch instrument with four different articulations;

E1=violin
    F =vi. det.
    F#=vi. stacc.
    G =vi. pizz.

Butt I would like-

E1=violin
    F =vi. det. shrt.
    F#=vi det.
    G =vi. stacc.

It seems that I should either be able to swap these out or create my own.

Now I didn\'t post this without trying both.
    Through the GS edit help I have been able to merge files and create a multi-layered instrument. However acctually asigning a key on the controller to swithch between the layers is a total mystery to me.
    And yes \"keyboard\" is the designated control source.

Please help.

regards,
    asa

Re: keyswitching instruments

I think that’s set in the instrument properties (double click on instrument name), though I don’t use keyswitching myself.

Someone posted me this Nemesys tutorial a while ago.

It\'s in Word format and has graphics which are obviously missing here.

If you want me to send you a copy, just leave your email address.

I\'ve pasted the text, as it may give you a clue anyway.

Good luck

Rick

Import the Samples
    To begin, we need to Create a new instrument, by pressing on the icon or choosing (File, New) from the menu bar. Next, right mouse click in \'Wave Pool\' window of the editor to bring up the context menu shown at the right, and select \'Import Directory\'. This will invoke a browser so you can select the directories containing your samples. Browse to the KS1 directory and press \'OK\' in the browser. A KS1 folder and its associated .wav files should appear in the Sample Pool window. Repeat this process to import the KS2 directory. Finally, right mouse click on the \'Default Sample Group\' folder in the sample pool window (as shown on the right) and select \'Delete\' so that only KS1 and KS2 remain in the sample pool window.

Start the Wizard & Set the Switch Regions
    Now that there is a sample pool to work with, press the icon. The following dialog box should then appear:

Note that the \'Name\' has been changed from \'untitled\' and the \'Dimension key end\' has been set to \'F1\'.

For Key switching, the \'Dimension key start/end\' values determine the range of key switches. In the above example, 2 keyboard regions (E1 and F1) will act as the switches that will change samples on the active keyboard regions. If you are not going to use the \'Keyboard\' as a dimension controller (ie not using key switching), then the \'Dimension key start/end\' values are ignored.

The other fields are beyond the scope of this tutorial - refer to the electronic manual for more details.

Press the \'Next\' button to continue.
    Specify the Active Regions
    Next, the Wizard bring up the following dialog:

This example only has 13 samples for each switch, so the active is set between C2 and C3, inclusively. Note that the active region does not overlap the keyswitch region (E1-F1) specified in the last step. The samples in this example all have the same unity note, so the \'Ignore Unity Note\' checkbox is set. If this is not done, then the same sample will be spread across all regions.

Do NOT set the \'Finish with this step\' checkbox, or we will not be able to specify the the key switch dimensions.

Specify the Key Switch Dimensions

You may wish to choose a more meaningful description than \'Key Switch\', but it will do for now. What is important is that you select \'Keyboard\' from the controller drop down. This specifies the \'Key Switch\' dimension. We only have 2 sets of samples to swich between so there are 2 splits. \'Splits\' increases by powers of 2, so if you had 3 or 4 sample sets, you would have to choose \'4\' splits. For 5 to 8 sample sets, you need 8 splits.

Check the \'Stereo\' box if your samples are stereo or mixed stereo/mono.

Click on the \'State names\' button next to the dimension you are working on to specify names of the different states (this will make the next step much less confussing). In this example, we will specify \"KS1 E1\" for Split \'1\' and \"KS2 F1\" for Split \'2\' to indicate the folder and keyswitch we want to associate.

Specify the Key Switch Dimension Associations

On the left is a list of the folders you imported into the sample pool at the beginning of this tutorial. On the right, under \'Key Switch\' are the \'State Names\' you created in the previous step - one for each split.

By clicking on \'KS1\' at the left; and \'KS1 E1\' on the right (as shown with the lightlights), \'KS1\' is assigned to \'KS1 E1\'.

By clicking on \'KS2\' at the left; and \'KS2 F1\' on the right (not shown), \'KS2\' is assigned to \'KS2 F1\'.

NOTE: The first Key Switch is the \'Dimension key start\' value specified in \'Wizard - Step 1\' (E1) shown above. The last Key Switch is the \'Dimension key end\' value specified in \'Wizard - Step 1\' (F1) shown above. If we had specified a larger range, more Key Switches would have appeared here (in sequential order).

Press the \'Finish\' button to make the Wizard layout your Gig Instrument.

Viewing the Dimensional Layout
    After the Wizard lays out your samples and sets up the dimension map, it displayes the active regions of the keyboard as shown below:

Note that the region may shows 13 active regions spanning C2 through C3. Below the region map, the dimionsion map shows the \'ks1\' sample (mono, covering all velocity ranges) is occupying the 1st half of the \'Kybd Key Switch\' dimesion for the C2 region (highlighted in the region map).

This indicates when C2 is played after the E1 key switch is played, that the ks1.wav file will be played.

If you click on the right half of the \'Kybd Key Switch\' dimension, you will note that the \"ks2\" sample is now assigned to the same highlighted region.

This indicates when C2 is played after the F1 key switch is played, that the ks2.wav file will be played.

Press the button to download your new instrument for GigaStudio. You should \'Save As\' \"KeySplit\" when prompted, and then close the editor.

Viewing the New Gig File in GigaStudio
    Launch GigaStudio and type \"Key\" into the QuickSound search window. Your new \"KeySplit.Gig\" file should appear in the loader window. Double click or drag/drop this file to Port1/Channel 1 of the Midi Channel Window and then select the \'Loaded Instruments\' tab. You should see KeySplit.Gig layed out on the virtual keyboard as shown below:

Note that C2-C3 are active regions (white/black keys), and all other regions are inactive (grey keys). The two purple keys are the key switches (E1 and F1).

Initially, if select C2-C3 you will hear the samples from your KS1 folder.

If you select F1 with your mouse and then select C2-C3 you will hear the samples from your KS2 folder.

If you select E1 with your mouse and then select C2-C3 you will again hear the samples from your KS1 folder.

thanks for all the info chadwick.

I would love a copy of the complete tutorial

my email is:

asabot@relaypoint.net

Chadwick, if possible could you send me a copy of the manual as well?
    Thanks
    Tripit
    tripit@earthlink.net

Hi Chadwick,

I would also be grateful for a copy.

Regards

Hans

hancor@telus.net

STOP THE MADNESS!

You can find the tutorial on the Nemesys site in doc, exe and zip format at: http://www.nemesystech.com/support/tutorials/

Chance

Go Back to forum