• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO, Logic 6, and ambience reverb

Share/Bookmark

GPO, Logic 6, and ambience reverb

Just got GPO and I use it as an AU in Logic 6.3.3 OS 10.3.2. When you\'re using GPO in Logic, do you use it as a \'multi-channel\' audio instrument plug-in or stereo? I\'m trying to figure out the best way to use it so I can take full advantage of the 8-channel capabilities of the GPO kontakt player. Should I use the multichannel plug, set up my ensemble and then use stereo aux objects for channels 3-4, 5-6, 7-8? Then set the aux outputs to the different physical outputs on my audio interface? Or is it better in Logic to use only 1 program per GPO plug (stereo) and assign each plug to a separate audio instrument track? What do you guys do?
    Also, the manual says that the included ambience reverb has special presets for the library and that you could read about it in the ambience pdf file in the CD folder. But there was no pdf in the folder, just 2 ambience plug-in documents (\'ambience\' and \'ambience 1\'). Assuming they are VST\'s and not AU\'s, I tried to run them through the VST-to-AU adapter, but they wouldn\'t load up in Logic. What\'s the deal with that?
    thanks,
    Peter [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: GPO, Logic 6, and ambience reverb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pfd4:
    [QB]

Subsequent to the release of GPO, we added and Audio Units version of Ambience. If you email me I\'ll send it as an attachment to you.

Gary Garritan

Peter, Here\'s what I do for now. (And an idea of what might be better)

When I first got GPO, using the instrument as 8 separate stereo outs (with AUXs) wa broken. To a certain degree, it doesn\'t matter.

As a beginner, I can\'t really mix the different instruments any differently anyway. But I can see the possibilities in the future. (sending a lead melody instrument out to far left and right stereo delay at offsets)

But I just started using it like a Multi instrument (setup a new multi instrument for each instance of GPO in the \"Mixer\" environment (audio environment?). Then connect that multi-instrument icon to one instance of the Audio Instrument. Do that for each instance of GPO. Uncheck the first 8 boxes in each Multi-instrument icon so that the midi channels will be routed. Make sure that the MIDI on the Audio Instrument (instance of GPO) is set to ALL or it will only receive on one channel.

Now you can assign any midi instrument track (in the arrange window) to any GPO instance and any level(of the 8 instruments that you assign within any instance of GPO). As you choose a different instrument (via setting the midi track to Multi-instrument 1-8 of instance 1-Whatever)the midi channel is set for you.

Then I just bus each Audio Instrument\'s signal to one room reverb. I have the send at 0db (which seemed really high to me-but that\'s what sounds like an orchestra in a theater)

So there\'s no need to set up individual AUX instruments unless you want different signal patching.

So far I\'ve just sent everything to the one reverb. Sometimes I vary the level of the output of the strings GPO instance vs the brass GPO or percussion GPO. ( I set each instance of GPO as a section-sometimes you need 2 instances of GPo for one section)

I\'m a beginner, so take this all with a large grain of salt.
    (beginner on both Logic and sampled orchestra.)

Subsequent to the release of GPO, we added and Audio Units version of Ambience. If you email me I\'ll send it as an attachment to you.

Gary Garritan [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What are Audio Units> I don\'t believe I have that feature!

Steve

Originally posted by rJames:
    I\'m a beginner, so take this all with a large grain of salt.
    (beginner on both Logic and sampled orchestra.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Beginner?!? You\'re a genius! You just solved all my logic/GPO problems in one post! This environment setup works great. You just made my year, rJames. Thanks, man! Time to have some fun with GPO - no more [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

kstevege, Audio Units are Apple\'s new version (different) of VST.

Reverbs, compressors, etc and Audio Instruments (soft synths) are Audio Units. Its just a name for the Plug-in to the audio core of the OSX.

If you have a Mac (OSX +) you\'ve got Audio Units. If you\'ve got a PC-no audio units (as yet).

Ambience (reverb) comes in VST or Audio Units. Use the one you need.

rJames,

Thanks for helping out. Couldn\'t have explained it better.

Gary Garritan

Originally posted by rJames:
    But I just started using it like a Multi instrument (setup a new multi instrument for each instance of GPO in the \"Mixer\" environment (audio environment?). Then connect that multi-instrument icon to one instance of the Audio Instrument. Do that for each instance of GPO. Uncheck the first 8 boxes in each Multi-instrument icon so that the midi channels will be routed. Make sure that the MIDI on the Audio Instrument (instance of GPO) is set to ALL or it will only receive on one channel. Now you can assign any midi instrument track (in the arrange window) to any GPO instance and any level(of the 8 instruments that you assign within any instance of GPO). As you choose a different instrument (via setting the midi track to Multi-instrument 1-8 of instance 1-Whatever)the midi channel is set for you.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">rJames:
    As I got going with this setup, I ran into a few difficulties I\'d like to ask you about:
    Firstly, I\'m noticing that after recording a few bars of 8 midi tracks, each assigned to an individual ensemble intrument/midi channel from a GPO instance, my CPU is practically overloaded. What I usually do in these cases is freeze my audio instrument track to free up some CPU; but in this case, even though the GPO signal is playing thru the original audio instrument object to which the corresponding multi-instrument is cabled, I can\'t freeze the GPO track itself because there is no physical sequence on the actual GPO audio instrument track in the arange, just on the midi tracks from the multi-instruments cabled to it. So, I figure that after I record sequences on the midi tracks cabled to a GPO audio instrument, I have to do the following: make aliases of all the midi sequences from multi-instruments cabled to a given GPO audio instrument, merge the aliases into one sequence and place that merged \'alias sequence\' onto the original GPO audio instrument track in the arrange, freeze that track, mute the original midi sequences and pack them into a folder to neaten up my arrange window. This way I\'m left with a single, frozen sequence (on the \'parent\' GPO audio instrument track), hopefully containing all the data from the original midi sequences (including midi controller data for each channel - like modulation, volume, etc.). I could alternatively record-enable the GPO audio instrument track while recording each midi multi-instrument track, so as to end up with all the sequence data from the midi tracks ALSO on the GPO audio inst. track; I could then merge all the sequences together on that GPO audio inst. track, freeze it, and go from there. Finally, my other choice is to record enable the GPO audio instrument track, solo the corresponding midi tracks with sequences on them, and press record, thereby recording all those sequences into a single sequence on the GPO audio inst. track, then freeze that. But in order to get the midi sequences to record into the record-enabled audio inst. track with all the midi data intact, I needed to get heavy with cabling in the environment by a) moving my audio instrument objects multi-instument objects into the clicks and ports layer; b) cabling each port from the physical input object into a multi-instrument object (each of which I\'ve already cabled to an audio instrument object) and then c) run cables from each audio instrument object to the sequencer input object (\'recording & thru\'). I found that I actually had to do that regardless of which of the above alternatives I took because I think the physical input \'sum\' port was creating some midi overlaps when I combined all multi-instrument midi sequences onto the GPO audio inst. track. I also found that if I wanted to get my sequences all recorded onto a record-enabled audio instrument track, the new \'combined\' sequence would not appear on the audio inst. track unless I cabled that audio inst. object to the sequencer input in the environment; I think cabling the multi-instruments to each GPO audio instrument somehow detached the audio instrument connections from the sequencer input.
    Sorry for my lack of clarity in describing all of this, but if you are able to find some cohesiveness in what I\'ve described, do you think that there is a more efficient way to do all of this so I could record on the multi-instrument midi tracks and then freeze each GPO audio instrument without having to recable the environment and duplicate the sequences on the audio instrument tracks themselves?
    Hope this sort of makes sense; my head is spinning!
    thanks,
    Peter

Ok. You have stumped me. First of all, I think I warned you that I don\'t really know what I\'m doing.
    So, I feel totally alright just saying, \"you\'re on your own.\"

But...

I think you\'ve stumbled into a problem with the \"multi-instrument\" setup. There may be a real guru here (or try at OSXaudio.com).

How do you freeze a multi-instrument? I\'ve just booted up Logic.

I don\'t think you can \"freeze\" GPO. Because it isn\'t self-contained as you\'ve suggested. The freeze button is gone.

What computer are you using? iBook? G4 dual? G5?

ARe you using the \"wet\" sounds in GPO?

You need a lot of CPU on a Mac to work GPO. My Dual 1G G4 couldn\'t handle it. Although I was using \"wet\" sounds when I first tried.

You can \"bounce\" the old fashioned way. Then you need to free up the CPU from that instance of GPO.

I think I read somewhere that it frees up CPU if you mute a channel from one of the arrange layers as opposed to the fader at the bottom left in the window. (or the opposite.

Otherwise you might have a dilemma.

Well I just tried to re read your post and got lost at a). [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Check my personal message to you.

As I think more about this... Just put one instance of GPO as a Stereo Instrument. Use only one instrument..freeze that instrument.

Do it again, and again, and again.

Since you\'re freezing, it doesn\'t matter that you\'re using 50 instances of GPO.

Just don\'t turn them all on at once....
    ...or stand back from your computer. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum