• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius/GStudio and Adv Orch Giga

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius/GStudio and Adv Orch Giga

Im putting together a Sibelius system with GigaStudio - an excelent combination - and i\'m hoping to use the Advanced orchestra 5 CD set.
    What i\'m trying to achieve is a bunch of sample and sibelius presets/templates so that when i open a string quartet score i can load
    up the string samples and everything is there ready to use. Now, i\'ve got a long way with this but i\'ve hit a stumbling block with
    \"Dimensions\". In the Adv Orch set each instrument, eg violin, has every style of playing that instrument (pizz, stacc etc) within the Gigasampler instrument. With a single keystroke i can swap between
    styles and techniques. I\'ve always liked this ability in GigaStudio but im having trouble getting Sibelius to perform the task. Obviously i can write in actual notes that cause the style swap but it looks awful on
    the score. I\'ve tried using the \"Note On\" command but it doesnt work (so Sibelius tell me and ive found it to be true). All i can think of now is to change the dimensions within the instrument to respond to a mod wheel or some other controller and try that (is this possible?)

Does any of this make any sence to anyone? Does anyone have any experience of
    setting this up and how have coped with it.

I\'ve also found that many of the sample instruments are out by an octave - which is just annoying and means going in and editing the key range.

I\'ve had great sucess using Miroslav\'s mini orchestra (Akai) and using simple patch change commands (~P24 etc) to swap between instrument styles as each style is an individual instrument and contains no
    dimensions, but with Adv Orch there\'s only one instrument containing
    many styles.

Hmmmm...... very fraustrating at the moment, but if i can crack it it could be very elegant and would sound fantastic.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Robin http://www.pc-music.com

Re: Sibelius/GStudio and Adv Orch Giga

Thanks for that. I\'ve been working on it all day and came up with exactly what you suggest, although i\'ve used a spare controller number (16) as modulation is also used elsewhere.

The only thing is that you then have to enter controller changes into Sibelius (~C16,80) things like that which isnt very elegant. What i need is to be able to, i dunno, select the articulation from a list - that would be ideal. The MIDI implimentation in Sibelius is not as comprehensive as i hoped it would be.

Still, it does work really well

Any other bright ideas gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Robin http://www.pc-music.com

> Sibelius is not as comprehensive as i hoped it would be

Yeah… That’s why I’ve stayed with Finale. I can set up non-printing articulations to send controller changes, or most other sorts of MIDI messages.

Ah but Sibelius is just so lush to work with

Robin

Using keys as the dimension control is good for live playing, but useless for working in notation. Fortunately, it’s easy to change:

Open the instrument in the editor.

Click and drag the mouse though all the key regions, so that they are all selected

Click over the first dimension where it says “Keyboard” to open the Dimension Resource dialog box

Change the control source from “keyboard” to “(1) Mod Wheel”

Check the “Apply to all selected regions” check box

Click OK

Go Back to forum