• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale and GPO

I just received GPO but cannot make it work consistently with Finale 2004. I installed the Maple loopback utility and set Finale to Maple Port One and the Kontakt Player to that same port. Nothing happened. Then, later, it was working. However, when I created another instance of the Kontakt Player that one didn\'t work (i.e., nothing played...keys didn\'t move). However, the first instance still worked.

Today, I can\'t get even one instance to work. This is very disappointing as I had hoped to be able to use GPO to orchestrate and compose with and now, it looks like I\'m reduced to exporting a MIDI file from Finale and putting it into a synthesizer product which, while it would be OK for creating performances, is not a great workflow for the composition/orchestration process.

Anybody know how to get it to work? Or why it worked, but now doesn\'t? I didn\'t change a thing.

One workaround I can think of is to run GPO on one PC and Finale on another, which is an option for me. I\'m currently running Gigastudio this way. But, one other thing that concerns me: once you\'ve set up the player with the various patches and settings, how do you preserve them for another day? There doesn\'t seem to be any way to SAVE in Kontakt player. Is that because it\'s not a full version? Do I need to get the full version to save my settings?

I\'m running Windows XP with 512 Meg of Ram on an Athlon at 2.4 GH

Thanks,

Roger Rudenstein
    Composer

Re: Finale and GPO

I\'m using GPO on my outboard (Giga) computer with MidiOverLan. I run Sibelius rather thatn Finale on the sequencer computer, but that shouldn\'t make a difference.

Try loading multiple GPO instances in Bidule from http://www.plogue.com. Bidule lets you set up all of the routing that you need. You can also load the samples, save the Bidule setup and restore it later. Bidule also has a facility for recording to a file.

If you do a search on Bidule or Plogue on the forum, you will find other related tips.

Good luck!

Hi Roger,

We are putting the finishing touches on a nice solution and we\'ll be announcing something soon.

Gary

Hopefully a Giga version. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, it would be nice to integrate GPO more cleanly with my other libs.

Wait a minute...

Soon = NAMM.
    NAMM = Giga 3.0 announcement. (Gotta be. Right?)

GPO for Giga 3.0? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Disclaimer: All possible ranges of opinion regarding GigaStudio 3.0, it\'s release schedule and features have already been discussed on this forum ad nauseum. Please search Northern Sounds for \"3.0\" and read all related posts to ensure that your creative, snide remark has not already been posted and copyrighted by another individual or large corporation, before posting anything new on the subject. Thank you.

Giga 3.0? Isn\'t that a new show Tascam is producing for the Sci-Fi Channel? (sorry!)

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Hi Roger,

We are putting the finishing touches on a nice solution and we\'ll be announcing something soon.

Gary
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great, I\'m also looking for the \"Finale\" connection.

Rick

I am eagerly awaiting the \"solution\" THe Plogue I suspects works, but the whole concept of GPO is to lesson the stuff inbetween the composing method. I have read the manual, and don\'t want to be a scientist, I just want to write music :-(

Originally posted by EJ:
    I am eagerly awaiting the \"solution\" THe Plogue I suspects works, but the whole concept of GPO is to lesson the stuff inbetween the composing method. I have read the manual, and don\'t want to be a scientist, I just want to write music :-(
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The \"solution\" will be nice to have (I assume), but \"THe Plogue\" isn\'t too bad. You set it up once, and then pretty much forget about it. Well, you have to start it, open your custom file, and turn it on. That\'s not so bad. Oh yeah, you have to shut it down too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Great, I\'m also looking for the \"Finale\" connection.\"

I\'m going to be surprised if this feature is focused specifically on Finale. My first thought was that they were developing some sort of standard Windows MIDI driver for the Kontakt Player that would allow it to interface with any standard MIDI application. That\'s all Finale uses, and I\'d be amazed if they talked the folks at Finale into modifying their program to interface especially with GPO. Or maybe they are designing a GigaStudio version of GPO since GigaStudio already has its own standard Windows MIDI drivers.

Well. I think I\'m smart enough to turn things on and off, but the \"setup\"? Did you go through the manual and their tutorial? It is quite a bit more than turning things on and off....

Go Back to forum