• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Logic - Multiple channels

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Logic - Multiple channels

This conversation is going on in another thread on here but I want to draw more attention to it by naming the subject as such. Several of us are using logic and having troubles using multiple sounds inside either Kontakt or Kontakt player with GPO. Could any of you who have figured it out explain your setups? Thanks!
    J-

Re: GPO and Logic - Multiple channels

Hi J. I decided to go check out what the QLSO logic users had to say about implementing the kompakt player\'s multi-channels in Logic. I found a description of an awesome, straightforward setup in Logic that doesn\'t require any mult-instruments or cabling. I\'ve quoted and pasted the thread right here (I hope it\'s ok to do that):

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    ...Here are some details on the song set up in logic:

there are 15 audio instruments. Two of them have a kompakt instrument. All the others are standard audio instrument tracks, except their channel is set to the instrument that has the kontakt instrument, and their midi channel is set to the corresponding midi value of the specific contact instance. So,

AI#1 - Kontakt Instance (1st 8 patches loaded). Params: Instrument #1, Midi Channel #1
    AI#2 - Params: Instrument #1, Midi Channel #2
    AI#3 - Params: Instrument #1, Midi Channel #3

and so on, for 8 instruments, then it happens again for the second bank of instruments, starting with:

AI#9 - Kontakt Instance (2nd 7 patches loaded). Params: Instrument #2, Midi Channel #1
    AI#10 - Params: Instrument #2, Midi Channel #2
    AI#11 - Params: Instrument #2, Midi Channel #3

etc.

Again, 15 total instruments playing... Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tell me if it works out for you.
    Peter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Peter!
    You intrepid detective you!
    Now that seems like something I could be interested in. It combines the options available to the kontakt player without having to rely on those pesky multi instrument environment objects. Not to mention having to cable all of those to aux objects in order to tweak parameters/effects on an individual basis. I don\'t think it will completely change the workflow I had described in the other post but it will certainly come in handy. Thank you for being a frustrated new user and finding this out for us.
    I\'ll see if I can\'t find out the exact settings I came up with that helped out on the chase event issue you have been struggling with. At last notice , I seem to have gotten it working.

christianb

I guess the only con of this set up is if you wanted to send individual instruments to specific effects or reverbs. In that case you would need to run as many instances of Kompakt as you have instruments.

I wonder which is more processor intensive? A bunch of instances with only 1 instrument (and MIDI channel) per instance or fewer instances with several MIDI channels and instruments per instance?

Ahhh Mid,
    You had to go and ruin it for me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I thought that was my ticket out.
    You are absotively right.

wonder which is more processor intensive? A bunch of instances with only 1 instrument (and MIDI channel) per instance or fewer instances with several MIDI channels and instruments per instance?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It seems to me that I am not getting a big(ger) hit by calling up more instances. If I equate it to EXS instruments, I get six or seven gpo\'s with four to six instruments each. That\'s about 36 exs\'s worth of instruments. Have to do some more thorough digging though.

I think I\'ll try it. It does seem to strip away one unnecessary step. (creating a multi instrument) And you can still send out to stereo AUX channels to route to different effects.

If you use GPO as an orchestra, you don\'t really need to send out very many sets of different effects. (I think)

I don\'t want to accept this. Here\'s my problems:

with the method mentioned above - we take up Audio Instruments from our total count and just end up with a bunch of repeat environment channels. If I setup 16 of these all running off 1 instance of Kontakt, I hacven\'t really gained anything.

If we do the multi-instrument method and route the MIDI data over, ALL of the MIDI data seems to be affecting every channel. That makes it VERY difficult to create smooth Cresc. and Decresc\'s with the mod wheel and other MIDI data. Legatos get stuck etc.

I\'d like to hear from some of the Beat testers. How did you guys do your setups?

J-

J.Whaley, two questions. (from a fairly new Logic user)

Are there a limited number of Audio Instrument channels available? I didn\'t know that and it might change my opinion.

Are you getting cross-talk on midi channels with GPO.

I\'m getting cross-talk from different instances but not within one instance. I call it spitting or sputtering.

What are you talking about?

I may, or may not be following this since I\'m a Logic newbie but this is what I\'m doing.

In Environment

Cable a Multi-Instrument to an AI object.
    It will ask \"Do you want to remove port settings?\" (or something like that)
    You say \"Yes\"
    Activate first 8 sub channels

Make sure port is set to off and cha is set to all for Multi.

In Arrange

Set AI Track to your Multi (midi = all)
    Set up 8 new tracks
    Set each one to each succesive sub channel
    (So now sub channel 1 is set to midi channel 1, sub channel 2 = midi channel 2, etc.)

Then you can do this for each instance of GPO as desired. Mine is set up with 4 instances of GPO, each loaded with 8 instruments. Each instance has a Master AI track and 8 sub channels. Whan you select the Master track you have access to the Arrange channel strip and so can adjust overall volume, bus assignments, etc, very easily.

This seems to be working for me but I\'m not that deep into Logic and so may be missing something important.

HTH

Regards

PS, there\'s still an annoying display bug in the environment that is probably related to GPO. In the old release when GPO was taken out of the components folder the bug disappeared.

Originally posted by rJames:
    J.Whaley, two questions. (from a fairly new Logic user)

Are there a limited number of Audio Instrument channels available? I didn\'t know that and it might change my opinion.

Are you getting cross-talk on midi channels with GPO.

I\'m getting cross-talk from different instances but not within one instance. I call it spitting or sputtering.

What are you talking about?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">rJames - I\'m not sure what you mean by \"Cross talk\".

if what you\'re referring to is MIDI data (ie Mod wheel) affecting more then just the intended channel/instance then yes I\'m having a problem with that. In Kontakt it\'s happening within the instance. In the GPO player it\'s working across instances as well.

I would REALLLY like to hear from some of the beta testers because surely this was conquered. Tom Hopkins? Gary? Haydn? Anyone? hellloooooooooooo?

J-

Go Back to forum